What is the biggest problem for linux adoption?

lol. comparing puppet to GPOs…

You can set up group policies in a couple of minutes. Teaching someone how it works is maybe an hour, tops?

Puppet?

Probably just as powerful - assuming you’re willing to spend several months learning how to use it.

This is my humble reply to the pilot post. As Windoze/Linux Mint user I can confidently say that the #1 thing that must be done with Linux is to make it as “user friendly” as Windoze. People are naturally lazy and although many of the aps and programs that work with Windoze are less than ideal for the most part they function and require no knowledge of code or data execution to work. All of it is point and click. What can be easier than that? Surely there must be some way to implement this and maintain Linux open source policies. (I can hear Richard Stallman screaming at me already from the recesses of my unconscious mind.) Not all games, for example, work with Linux. In fact many games do not. That alone is one reason why a large portion of users won’t use Linux. When aps and programs are as easy to install on Linux as they are on Windoze I think people will start gravitating to Linux. People even pay for operating systems that are user friendly. Many of them don’t care about telemetry or if their PC is constantly “phoning home” or even if they’re being spied on as long as the operating system is easy to use and they don’t have to type in any “special commands” to make their favourite aps work. That has been my experience and I don’t include myself in that number. So there it is: Make Linux easy.

1 Like

You spelled Windows wrong.

Also, Richard Stallman is a man, not a God, not a diety, and not a philosopher king, despite his own admissions. He hasn’t been relevant since the early 90s, imo, and is really out of touch with reality. I’d not use him as a benchmark or metric for how you should use a computer. Otherwise you’ll be writing scripts in Python 2.1 and running web servers with SGML and DSSSL.

All kidding aside, your “humble” post is one of the many problems for Linux adoption. This isn’t a personal attack so please don’t read too much into it, but referring to people as lazy and apathetic while holding yourself with an air of superiority because you likely use a search engine to find commands to run is very prominent in the community and a major turn off.

I know very talented engineers and developers that love GUI and UI/UX. If a tool doesn’t exist, myself and others have built one with a graphical or web front end. That doesn’t make us lazy, that doesn’t make us stupid, and it doesn’t make someone that enters a command 1000 times better than us. I’m not offended, I’m pointing out that this attitude is bizarre and absurd. I’d rather build a GUI that calls 100 scripts with a single click than manually type some nonsense ten times that calls 100 scripts.

They’re just tools. Take your life off the screen and you realize it’s just a hand saw, hammer, drill press, etc. that can calculate numbers.

2 Likes

Richard Stallman isn’t a god but that doesn’t stop him from shrieking at me from the inner depths of my unconscious mind. As for laziness that is certainly NOT a number I exclude myself from and I’ll say it again: people are lazy. Tex asked for our opinions and I gave Tex my honest opinion :::shrugs::: what is it with everyone today? I feel as though I stepped into LEVEL 1 TROLLS. Must be the season.

Again: My reply was to the pilot post. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

WINDOZE , WINDOZE, WINDOZE :slight_smile: I like the sound of it. Think I’ll use it more often.

The reason I said don’t read too much into what I said. Your honest/humble reply exuded an air of pompousness and arrogance prominent in the community. It’s my humble/honest opinion that attitudes like that push more away than it does recruit.

I’m sure he’s happy you participated, but you replied on a semi-public forum, Shirley you expected a response?

That’s your prerogative, but it certainly won’t help Linux adoption, nor will it serve any sort of point you hope to accomplish.

This is what apple tends to get right.

Linux and others focus too much on raw throughput. Apple focuses on making a tool easier to use to do a job.

No one* (normies) care if linux is 30% faster on paper at calculating numbers, if it is 500% more complicated to just get shit done.

This is why Windows and Linux guys bitching about apple spec sheets and claiming they can build a PC that is so much faster are largely missing the point.

For certain server/batch tasks? Sure, it makes a difference. For normal end user shit - the UI usability is FAR more important.

Having a 6000 rounds per minute nail gun (linux) is no help for example if you need to hang a picture on the wall. Far more important would be how easy the nail is to drive.

The problem with Linux is not “linux”. It’s the applications. The application landscape on linux is a fucking dumpster fire compared to either WIndows or Mac from a usability standpoint.

I mean its 2018 for fucks sake, and unless i plug my monitors into specific ports, the login manager and desktop don’t see left and right monitors as being on the same side of the desk between login and desktop…

4 Likes

I most humbly apologize for my lack of proprietary prevalence. I certainly had no intention of exuding any measure of arrogance and to be honest I haven’t seen much of it in this community – not to imply that I’m actively recruiting. Should I be? To be completely honest I didn’t expect a response and I certainly didn’t expect one from Shirley. You might have something there with the adoption of Linux not being encouraged by my misspelling of Windows considering how Microsoft is already in cahoots with the Linux Foundation but I’m a big believer in Liberty and freedom of text. Again, I apologize in advance for any offense I may have generated. I’m still of the persuasion that when Linux is as easy to use as Windoze… errrm “Windows” people will be more inclined to using Linux.

BINGO! :smile:

Application naming is fucking ridiculous as well.

Windows: Task manager
Mac: Activity Monitor
Linux: KsysGuard?

Windows: Explorer
Mac: Finder
Linux: Dolphin? Nautilus? what the fuck

Windows: Notepad
Mac: Text Editor
Linux: Kate? vi? EMACS?

Just try and pair a bluetooth device on a Linux desktop.

Check this shit out:

4 Likes

i think it would be better to make a blog what do you like about linux?
and post the alternative names and descriptions of what they do.
so far there has been a lot of why is it so hard or unfriendly and posting the negatives just discourages people from trying or wanting to learn.

Without criticism problems will never get fixed. There is plenty of material on the strengths of linux. This thread is about barriers to adoption, not ego stroking.

The current linux user base deal with these issues or at least tolerate them. It isn’t good enough for mass adoption.

2 Likes

Imho the naming of apps is thing that author decides, it’s your “irrelevant” personal opinion that it shall be named like this/that.
On the other side, try getting bt drivers to work on win from multiple device and try to use bt soundcards in windows (such as bt handsfree…). I’m not saying it’s perfectly executed but my own “irrelevant” personal opinion is that it’s not operating system that has to adapt the user, yet it’s the users has to adopt an operating system as it is, and if they want to make it even better (unlike win/mac) Kappa #nohardfeelings

What distro and tool are you using that it doesn’t just report the name of the device? I use whatever is built into gnome and it just tells me the name o the deice.

Why? They’ve already tailored pieces of Ubuntu, Debian, and openSUSE to work within Windows. WSL is far, far superior to Cygwin or MSYS2 + MinGW. Plus, they’re still actively developing the project, making it better every day.

If anyone can implement a fully functional cross compatible Linux desktop, it’ll probably be Microsoft partnered with Canonical or Elementary.

Getting elements of a closed system working on an open system is an undertaking on an entirety different scale than getting elements of an open system working on a closed system. If anyone can implement a cross-compatable desktop, its the wine team; and only if Microsoft doesn’t sue them.

inb4 empty promise
inb4 evil corp
inb4 EEE
inb4 ignoring the past 5 years of work Microsoft has done to progress Linux on the desktop, plus the last 10 years of work they’ve put into the kernel.

2 Likes

If I recall correctly, none of those patents were anything to do with win32 specs. This is going to get off topic fast so I’m not going to continue down this road as there has already been a thread about it.

Kubuntu 1804 (though it was installed from base ubuntu).

Name your app whatever the fuck you like, but if you want a Linux desktop to be used by normies, having retarded names that all start with K (or G)and some sort of convoluted bs to try and make a pun are not going to make it easier for the end user.

You can call my opinion irrelevant if you like, but that isn’t going to get end users on the platform.

shrug

Meanwhile on a regular platform like macOS or Linux or whatever i’ll search and hit the first letter of the app and it will find it first hit more often than not. Good luck with that on KDE or Gnome.

It’s a usability disaster.

1 Like