What is the best software/method to remote into home PC?

So recently I have been going to social coding meetups. A lot of them are duds, but every once in a while I luck out and run into a programing guru.

Last night I ran into a ES6 (javascript) guru that could have really helped me on a gnome shell extension I have been trying to build. Unfortunately I forgot to update my github with the latest changes and I didn’t have the code with me to show him.

So I ended up missing out on that opportunity and I don’t want that to happen again.

I have played around with remoting into my PC in the past, but all the solutions I found were a pain in the ass to use and half the time they refused to function.

I am wondering what the best solution is for my situation is. I will be remoting from OSX into linux which may be an issue.

I don’t need any fancy features like file transfer because I can simply put the files in an email to myself or something along those lines.

The only real feature I would want is for it to be as secure as possible.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Do you need a remote desktop or is the shell good enough? if the latter you can use SSH/SFTP to get a remote shell/transfer the files, OSX even has a built in SSH client which should make it easy.

5 Likes

Been using Teamviewer for remote desktop for a couple years now. Has never let me down. Just make sure you keep it updated on all devices.

2 Likes

If you just need a remote shell/file transfer, SSH is the way to go for sure.

If you want a full remote GUI, you could use VNC or Chrome Remote Desktop. VNC is a bit harder to set up but probably more private. I’d recommend Chrome Remote Desktop over TeamViewer though, just because of their respective security track records.

I mentioned this in another similar thread but you really ought to give NoMachine a chance. It’s multiplatform, incredibly easy to set up (you’ll be good to go in minutes), is much faster and more responsive than things like VNC, and your whole connection is done over SSL so it should be secure.

Really, it’s the best remote desktop software I’ve ever used. I’m kind of amazed it doesn’t get more attention, as it’s been around for years and still seems kind of obscure.

1 Like

Thank you all for the replies.

Team viewer has always been a pain for one reason or another.

I will look into chrome remote desktop and no machine.

If it is a Linux server I can vouch for ssh with the -X parameter. It allows you to run single applications on the Linux client. It’s fast, it’s free, it looks like you are running the program natively because of how it works.

Its not a linux server, its a linux desktop.

But yeah, ssh is an option especially with mac.

1 Like

Fast is not what I’d call remote X over SSH.

If you’re on LAN, it’s fast, if you’re going over the open internet, it’s going to be much slower.

That said, it will work fine for something simple like pushing code to git.

1 Like

it’s been fine for me using virt-manager and libreoffice over internet

Hmmm, maybe they’ve improved it. I’ll have to do some testing.

It also is great to be able to use a seamless computing environment regardless of the host system.

Something you could try is NoMachine, that is what I always use to remote into a Linux Desktop.

1 Like

ssh. No other tool better than that if remoting to a *nix machine.

Thread closed as it was outside the guidelines for thread revival. Please PM me or another moderator if you feel the thread was closed in error. See the FAQ for more information.

Feel free to create a new thread if you wish to continue this thread’s conversation.