What is the best reliable ssd for workstation operation

Hi am building upgrading to intel 1700 platform, need to select some ssd for working drives and also will use the same or similar for os just smaller. Mainly thinking minimum 4tb version for work drives.
Kingston KC3000
Kingston FURY Renegade
WD BLACK SN850X
samsung 990 pro
KIOXIA XG8
Solidigm SSD D7-P4510 is at a good price but, don’t know how to adapt for intel 1700 platform.
? others
you opinion and you practice.
I don’t need the fastest speeds just reliable for many year so I won’t have problems

Also what your latest ideas on using u.2 drives for workstation build, what is the adapters that we can use.

Any advice would be apricated. :thinking:

Micron 7450/9400
Kioxia CD7/8
Solidigm D7-something

You can get M.2 → U.2 adapter cables or get a PCIe card where you can plug in cables to connect to SFF-8639 for U.2/3.
Or PCIe carrier card where you can plug in the drives directly.

PCIe slots are rare on Intel Core, so you probably need to use M.2 slots for that.

That megathread deals with everything related and the troubles associated with it: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/a-neverending-story-pcie-3-0-4-0-5-0-bifurcation-adapters-switches-hbas-cables-nvme-backplanes-risers-extensions-the-good-the-bad-the-ugly/

The Seagate firecuda 530 4TB is well reviewed and has good TBW ratings. Probably a worthy alternative and the pricing has dropped recently.

1 Like

I saw a good review from videographer he tested Seagate FireCuda 530 vs WD 850X, seagate was good but it seems to have some problems fully refreshing cash, this impacts it really bad vs samsung or WD. It made video production workflow very critical part. And I also work with video editing.

As for U.2 drives, they can offer advantages in terms of easy hot-swapping and higher power delivery for enterprise-grade SSDs. To adapt a U.2 drive for use with a motherboard that may not have native U.2 connectors, you’ll need a U.2 to M.2 or U.2 to PCIe adapter. Make sure the adapter is compatible with your specific SSD and motherboard.С