What is really happening?

I guess we are going to disagree on this point, no hard fellings.

To be fair, I’m not sure there’s an argument to be made that BitCoin or any other crypto currency is particularly good for the environment either. How much carbon emissions and waste heat is generated while mining for them?

I can’t imagine the carbon emissions do to energy usage is worse than that for heavy gold mining machinery. Production costs for making the servers, gpus, boards, etc. may be another consideration, I just still find it unlikely to outstrip that of making the heavy machinery for gold mining, but it could be I’m underestimating the difference in scale.

Have to mine gold for circuitry anyway

Getting off topic now
The consensus is that metal currencies are obsolete and that crypto uses electricity and it’s personal preference for who you want to be in charge of the money whether it be a government or “people”

And thus the paper dollar exists still, or plastic money for canucks

1 Like

Aren’t decentralised systems more trustworthy?

Also, when mining for gold used in the semiconductor industry, much less is needed as if it was used as a currency by every single nation on the planet.

@Shadowbane Sure. As mentioned earlier, I was interested in what’s causing your dislike to cryptocurrencies in general and I think I understand you know.

@Klingon00 Of course no currency is good for the environment. As a matter of fact, we as biological being, are not good for the environment. But there should be a huge difference between PoW and PoS coins. For example, I doubt neither Substratum, nor Cardano have high (whatever that means) carbon emissions. (There is no mining, when it comes to PoS coins)

@djindy I think getting sophisticated numbers is definitively hard, but for BTC it is enormously high. But then again, banks produce a high amount of carbon emissions in order to run their server, for money transports, etc. While mining for rare earths represents an environmental problem just as well, I also believe we should not try to waste more resources as necessary.

Literally never

Wrong. Bitcoins difficulty adjusted every 2016 blocks or roughly every 20160 minutes. Less if difficulty to go up, more if it’s going to go down.

Most of these coins don’t have enough backing it or proven security to be considered against the big three. The big thing with bitcoin and Litecoin is the pair review of code and extreme testing seen before any release. Eth is just a cult. Cash is bloated by Chinese money trying to move development power away from the core team. Purely a cash grab.

The shortage in gpus isn’t actually linked firefly with mining. Rather traders taking advantage of the lack of supply of cards with the high demand. People are buying cards, speculating on the price since development of the GTX 2k series has slowed down due to issues at Nvidia.

We should have had gtx2080’s months ago. But people like to blame crypto. Hasn’t been profitable to mine in months. Nope it’s production issue in China and development issues at AMD and Nvidia that are too blame for the slump in gpus with traders leveraging the shortage of supply to make a quick buck off desperate gamers

Oh god. Neither of you are right. Decentralised systems are trustless. As in you don’t have to trust anyone. It’s a consensus of many people through software so that there is no need to trust anyone. It’s more like a stalemate in chess. You would have to rewrite the history of the game to win from the position

That’s a rough but essentially accurate description of what a blockchain is, a distributed ledger ruled by consensus so nobody has to trust any small group of actors.

1 Like

This was a typo. But to be honest, I was under the impression that difficulty adjustment happens every three weeks and 20160 minutes equals two weeks and not three.

BTC wasn’t as tested as now when it was released. The BTC whitepaper was written by Satoshi alone, who relied on proven cryptographic methods. Aside from that, Cardano’s Uoroboros system is also peer reviewed and tested. Just because a crptocurrency hasn’t been around long enough, doesn’t mean it won’t surpass BTC one day. But this remains to be seen.

What I meant with more trustworthy was to trust the system and the mathematics behind said system. Furthermore, you also need to trust the code that runs on your PC since it could be doing something malicious. (In BTC case, you also trust 51% of the hashing power :wink: )