What is M$'s beef with 1st gen Ryzen?

MS is still supporting Win10 until 2025. That should be more than enough time for supply shortages to ease and to upgrade your PC. So no one is being forced to buy new hardware unless you have to be on the latest windows OS.

That’s true and not a concern for a few years yet but previously the specs were reasonable and supported generally a vast amount of hardware regardless of age.

Vista was the first hiccup with its then very high requirement. Now 11 is just saying a thing not in the last 3 generations is just obsolete when it is clearly not.

I have read above about the misgivings on 1st gen ryzen and bugs, but what of Intel? Their CPUs effectively haven’t changed since sandy bridge. So whats the reasoning, just that win11 is SUCH a resource hog that it needs 5ghz capable CPUs just to function?

2 Likes

There’s no additional instruction sets that I know of between zen and zen+ so no performance argument to be made. Minimum AVX2 and other instructions must be quite nice for devs going forward, the multiple code paths for critical code don’t necessarily need to be quite so multiple.

This is a tangent now, but AVX is a plague and needs to go away. Just another Intel “invention” that only served to make their CPU better in a task they invented just to so they could make some code exclusive and faster on their CPUs for a little bit till AMD worked it out and now we both have to suffer with an instruction set that is massively power hungry, inefficient and so backward that you need to slow this specific instruction down when you are over clocking or it will cause problems.

Great… Exactly what we need as a minum requirement, I bet Intel are laughing it up. They will just “invent” get another new version of AVX now that AMD are back on par.

1 Like

From what I can tell with Prime95, using the latest vector extension is more efficient except maybe for the initial implementations which often have teething/clocking issues. The initial AVX512 implementations from intel were hilariously less efficient than the AVX2 path in P95, but now AVX512 is preferred. If I had my way x86 would stop vector extensions at AVX2, maybe at some distant point in the future invent a clean variable-length vector extension if necessary and be done with it.

1 Like

I swear some of the supported cpu stuff with win 11 has to do with hardware mitigations for spectre/meltdown.

I can’t remember exactly where or what it was, but I recall reading something about there being some sort of os design issue that was the cause of the big performance hit with the soft fixes, but was really like of a hack due to backward compatibility of some sort, and if it were fixed properly it would require a fairly low level OS implementation change that would improve performance across the board, but only on chips that had the hardware mitigation in place.

Maybe I’m misremembering… but yeah. Seems like the 11 cpu stuff mostly aligns with hardware spectre/meltdown fixed

The official requirement is Skylake for similar reasons. Performance wise, sandy bridge was the last big jump but feature-set wise there’s a bunch of additions since then. Both in the processor and the chipset.

It’s nothing about resource hogging, its about platform security.

MS is (justifiably) pissed at being blamed for everything to do with Windows reliability. A lot of it is their fault, but a significant amount is shit drivers, not taking advantage of code signing, etc.

They’ve decided that Win11 is their flag in the ground where they are going to mandate various platform security features, and the baseline they’ve decided is required is what it is due to the hardware feature set/bug presence in Skylake and Ryzen 2000 onward. And maybe due to driver support from Intel/AMD? I doubt AMD/Intel are providing significant platform/driver updates/product support that may be required on several generation old, out of support products.

You could technically run Win11 on a Core2 duo no doubt, BUT… it doesn’t provide the security features that Microsoft want to take advantage of.

• Apple have full chain of trust for platform security on their products
  • So do google
  • Microsoft haven’t - despite the hardware support being there in various levels for some years.

This is a good thing for hopefully better securing the platform. If they officially sanction the platform running without these features or with them turned off, they’re going to be inherently accepting responsibility for the security of the platform with those features turned off - and they’ve decided it isn’t worth it.

It’s also hopefully good for Linux because the people bitching about it now have a great alternative that could use more support.

Win10 will still be supported for some time, and the differences aren’t huge. If you don’t like it, Linux is a great alternative. If you need hardware, Skylake or Ryzen 2000+ are not expensive to get.

Eh… About the development phase, rollout is next month. All serious development will be stopped by now and be all bug fix and polish ahead of release.

Win 11 is finished, look like this is how it will ship.

hahahahah
hahahaha

haha

bug fix?
polish?
ahead of release?

/me sneers at things still only able to be tweaked in Windows 7 control panel objects that were themselves inherited from vista or prior… in windows 10… 15 years later

3 Likes

Oh yeah those are very loose terms but I.more mean they are not going to work on adding processor support, more likely to be working on making emoji useable for your username and password.

1 Like

M$ is also… well… let’s say security is not always number 11 priority…

Source 1
Source 2
etc.

word

2 Likes

well yeah… but broken clock, twice a day, etc…

1 Like

I happen to use a 24 hour clock, sir. My clock is offended that you would assume its standard!
/s

1 Like

Given the despicable lengths Microsoft went to to sneakily/forcibly ‘upgrade’ Windows 8.x machines to Windows 10, I see a distinct silver lining to this:

Having a 1st Gen Ryzen processor means you are protected from being similarily forced over to Windows 11. Windows ‘moar malware’ 11 will target users with more recent boards, and leave you alone.

Win-win! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

LOL there is that. And of course it’ll continue to work with Linux. It’s just that it seemed so arbitrary and full of hubris, as one would expect of Microsoft. It seems there are some reasons for M$'s decision, but they haven’t exactly been transparent about it. And that, of course, is giving them the benefit of the doubt. :thinking:

Pretty sure it was AMD that made this call, actually; MS reached put to work on the supported list

It made me pretty angry tbh, if only from a forced obsolescence and ewaste perspective. Ultimately the 2000 series was a refresh of 1000 series with a die shrink. 2000’s series APUs weren’t even that, they were LITERALLY Zen 1 in every respect. It is completely arbitrary to lock off Zen 1 and not Zen+. There is no reason that Sandy Bridge era CPUs should not be supported by Windows 11, let alone CPUs from 2017.

3 Likes

Was planning to give this first gen Ryzen to my kid brother for his Windows gaming machine (which will most likely want to run W11) and upgrade to Zen 3. I guess that won’t work now.

As far as I understand you can still install it to first gen Ryzen yourself, you just won’t be offered the free upgrade for it like you were with Windows 10

I am on 2nd gen Ryzen and I couldn’t care less if Windows 11 supported it. Windows 10 is the end of the road for me. I put up with the Win 10 shenanigans because Microsoft essentially gave it away for free. And having a cheap MS Office HUP license was also good value. There is not the slightest motivation left in me anymore to deal with a hybrid cloud OS and a productivity suite on a subscription model.

2 Likes