What is Linode?

Hey Everyone,

1st time posting, more of a Level Zero Tech here…I need to make a website for the 1st time in 20 years and my domain renewal is due on namecheap.

I’m unclear of what Linode is? Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Glenn

1 Like

Isn’t Linode just an (admittedly excellent) vps provider?
As in, just the virtual machine on their infrastructure?

1 Like

Their primary service is renting out server time, primarily renting virtual machines, otherwise known as a VPS.

They also sell storage and other services.

1 Like

Linode, LLC is an American privately-owned cloud hosting company that provides virtual private servers. It is based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

You need:

Website / code, graphics. (do you create yourself or do you want to outsource it to someone?)
Domain, paid or free subdomain.
And server / account on shared server. So-called Shared Web Hosting.

VPS / cloud solutions or Dedicated physical server are overkill for the needs of one website. Unless it will be a highly visited site.

There are hundreds of companies on the market offering such solutions, such as squarespace.com and many others.
Much depends on your needs and financial capabilities.

1 Like

Wow you all gave me a lot of information to look over…thanks so much.
I know a lot of people easily use squarespace, so hopefully I can figure it out with all the resources TimHolus linked. Much Appreciated!

You may also consider https://www.wix.com some people use it too.
And if you decide to have your own vps / dedicated server, maybe something cheap https://www.kimsufi.com/us/en/

Doesn’t Wendell also usually say in the promotions that he’ll help people transfer their stuff to Linode or something? :thinking:

Not for such things and not of that size. :wink:

I was funneled in this thread here, so I hope it´s ok to high-jack this. I´m trying to setup a linode minecraft server. I´m currently following this guide, and I´ll try to do as much as I can on my own: https://www.linode.com/community/questions/19254/how-do-i-set-up-rlcraft-on-a-linode
However when I do Sudo commands within Ubuntu to do the automatic security updates, it asks me for a password, and it does not appear to be the one you select as “root password” for the server, which was my expectation. Just making sure I´m not stupid here, and it´s something obvious.

2 Likes

sudo uses the user’s password, as long as the user is in the sudoers file (just try it with your password)
Instead of a command, you can type

sudo -i 

And use your password, and it lets you run commands as root user until you exit.

On the other hand, I think you can type

su

And give the root users password, and it does the same as sudo -i, but does not require your user to be in the sudoers file.

Also, try

man sudo

For more info. And

man man

If you are logging in as root to begin with (you’ll see a # on the command line prompt) then you don’t need to use sudo at all. Commands will run as root by default.

1 Like

Obligatory promo code mention: https://linode.com/level1techs

2 Likes

I didn´t log in properly, that´s why it didn´t work, thanks Ghan for the tip with the #

Everything else I managed to get to work, and I´m now on the last step. When I try to run the screen command as the minecraft user I get “permission denied”
edit: I get that even if I try to run the command as root

edit2: It works now. I added to command chmod u+x start.sh to the text file I created in nano instead of executing it.
Thanks a lot for all the help.

That was the main reason why I went with Linode. Otherwise I would have gone with one of the usual minecraft hosters, since they are cheaper and easier to setup.

1 Like

I do have one final question:
I´m running the Minecraft Server using “screen”. If I need to get access to server at a later point (to restart it for example), how do I do that?

You can reattach to your screen

• screen -list to show screens that are running
  • screen -r <id> to attach to one

You can also give your screen a name with screen -S minecraft and then you can attach to it with screen -r minecraft as long as you don’t name multiple screens the same thing you don’t have to type the entier id then.

If you just started your MC server in screen manually.

I’ve used this systemd script before to setup a MC server for a friend. Works nicely. You can start it on boot with systemd if you want to. Also uses screen for if you want to access the server console you can do it that way, but keep in mind that you need to be logged in with the user you entered in the script or you wont be able to see the screen. Could be the user you are currently using if you want it that way.

2 Likes