What if I want everything?

When I grow up I want to be just like you

Zoltan,

This is the problem I have, Did it ever occur to you that some people just like Windows?

I understand that you, and a number of members of this forum love Linux, and feel that it is the god operating system, but how many of you deal with 100s of users a day. AD, file sharing, network management, and general program compatibility is lead by Windows for a reason.

I completely respect your choice to use Linux as your daily driver, and feel that if it works for you that's great, but, one size does not fit all.

Your constant bashing of Windows throughout the forum gets annoying, and quite frankly, this post is just going to start a flame war. Not to mention the fact that you used your abilities as moderator to make this post pinable.

I'm not trying to tell you that Windows is better, but, I really wish you would recognise the fact that some people just like Windows. It's not a terrible operating system, and personally, it's done everything I've needed it to.

So I ask you, why the constant bashing, if so many have told you that they simply like Windows?

Edit: NVM about the pin, Wendell did that.

1 Like

Ok I have the M5a99x pro r2
I was having some crazy issues with just getting a USB to boot with all diffrent distros.
I tried Manjaro and it just booted instantly and installed in < 3mins. I am Impressed so far.
I think this will be a good distro to do my attempt at doing this linux gaming build.

Funny you say that, i spent a few hours debugging why Debian would crash soon as it booted from livecd, turned out to be a single usb device that it didn't like, after removing it no issues.

Im on Debian Sid with 4.0rc2 kernel and kvm + pci passthrough is rock solid (well.. occasionally video and audio stutter for half a second, but this seems to have mostly gone away on its own)

I got KVM QEum and Virt Manager installed and running and set up a windows 8 virtual machine and went to add the PCI-E card. I picked the R9 290 and I get this error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 89, in cb_wrapper
callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 125, in tmpcb
callback(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/domain.py", line 1358, in startup
self._backend.create()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 1007, in create
if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virDomainCreate() failed', dom=self)
libvirtError: unsupported configuration: host doesn't support passthrough of host PCI devices

I have a 8320 FX a m5a99x pro r2, R9 290, HD7790.
From what I see My CPU is supported for the passthrough.

I think I read on this thread that Asus removes the bios support for this feature.

they either remove it...or the settings is backward so on=off and off=on gotta play with it

That is the plan for tonight after work.
Its like come fucking on and just include the features that are listed as supported.
I guess Ill hold tongue on this till I explore a bit.

i got this stuff working with an MSI board. not that i would recommend the board (970A-G46), but atleast they dont screw with the feature set.

I'm getting

Operation failed: No such file or directory

at the

systemctl enable libvirtd.service

step. I'm baffled.

Did you install the QEUM KVM and Virt Manager ?

Yes.

I'm on Debian btw.

That sucks, I'm running the latest bios for my board, (huge assumption) but since they similar boards, if you match the bios date of mine to the m5a99x pro 2, you get Version 1708. Maybe it will work with that?

Under Advanced\ North Bridge :
IOMMU: Enabled
IOMMU Mode: Disabled

Also, I've added
modprobe -r vfio_iommu_type1
modprobe vfio_iommu_type1 allow_unsafe_interrupts=1

to /etc/rc.local (im lazy) which you will likely require once you get iommu working. Might be worth trying to set it up without virt-manager first, while you are getting it working: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162768

Thanks a lot that is really helpful.
I really hope this board works as I just bought it to replace a gigabyte board that would not support Linux.

Weird similar issue with libvirt here, whats the output of

ls -la /var/run/libvirt

Running Debian Sid here, I can connect to "Localhost (QEMU Usermode)" in virt-manager. But "Localhost (QEMU)" fails with:

libvirtError: Failed to connect socket to '/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock': No such file or directory

drwxr-xr-x  4 root root    120 Mar  7 02:31 .
drwxr-xr-x 18 root root    700 Mar  7 02:37 ..
srwxrwx---  1 root libvirt   0 Mar  7 02:31 libvirt-sock
srwxrwxrwx  1 root libvirt   0 Mar  7 02:31 libvirt-sock-ro
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root     40 Mar  7 02:31 qemu
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root     40 Mar  7 02:31 uml-guest

I can now connect to "Localhost QEMU" as a user, but trying to start virt-manager as a root gives this:

virt-manager:6145): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

I was missing libvirt-sock* completely for some reason, on my end i fixed this with

sudo apt-get purge libvirt-* virt-manager && sudo apt-get install libvirt-* virt-manager

When i run virt-manager is askes for root permissions to connect to Localhost (QEMU)

Unfortunately that didn't work for me. Not sure why, but while enabling the service doesn't work, the status command still works and returns this:

libvirt-bin.service - LSB: libvirt management daemon
  Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/libvirt-bin)
  Active: active (running) since Sat, 07 Mar 2015 13:08:36 +0200; 1min 39s ago
  CGroup: name=systemd:/system/libvirt-bin.service
	  └ 8361 /usr/sbin/libvirtd -d

Edit: alright... using "sudo virt-manager" will start it without an error... that's enough, right? Why does that work when starting it normally as root doesn't? I can even do "sudo virt-manager" as root and it works.

@Zoltan it seems that the private messages don't work. So I will just leave it here.

I wanted to ask that if I install windows inside the virtual machine will I be able to access the files created by linux through the Win OS? And will I be able to access files created by Windows through Linux? Also will I be able to create partitions in the Win 7 that will be visible only to Win? Something like virtual partitions.

I noticed when I was installing software into my linux through the terminal it didn't ask me where i want to install it. It seemed to me that it goes all into the home directory. That's not good because if the Linux is on small(120GB) SSD and install lot of stuff on it then it will run out of storage in no time. For example with Win 7 i like to have the OS on SSD with drivers and nothing else. I modify my registers so that all other software installations are directed to the other physical HDD by default. This helps me to keep my SSD clean and mostly empty. But in Linux I don't know whether you can do this.

Would Virtualbox work instead of virt-manager? Does it work, and if yes, do I lose anything else than some hardcore-points?