What if I want everything?

I was missing libvirt-sock* completely for some reason, on my end i fixed this with

sudo apt-get purge libvirt-* virt-manager && sudo apt-get install libvirt-* virt-manager

When i run virt-manager is askes for root permissions to connect to Localhost (QEMU)

Unfortunately that didn't work for me. Not sure why, but while enabling the service doesn't work, the status command still works and returns this:

libvirt-bin.service - LSB: libvirt management daemon
  Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/libvirt-bin)
  Active: active (running) since Sat, 07 Mar 2015 13:08:36 +0200; 1min 39s ago
  CGroup: name=systemd:/system/libvirt-bin.service
	  └ 8361 /usr/sbin/libvirtd -d

Edit: alright... using "sudo virt-manager" will start it without an error... that's enough, right? Why does that work when starting it normally as root doesn't? I can even do "sudo virt-manager" as root and it works.

@Zoltan it seems that the private messages don't work. So I will just leave it here.

I wanted to ask that if I install windows inside the virtual machine will I be able to access the files created by linux through the Win OS? And will I be able to access files created by Windows through Linux? Also will I be able to create partitions in the Win 7 that will be visible only to Win? Something like virtual partitions.

I noticed when I was installing software into my linux through the terminal it didn't ask me where i want to install it. It seemed to me that it goes all into the home directory. That's not good because if the Linux is on small(120GB) SSD and install lot of stuff on it then it will run out of storage in no time. For example with Win 7 i like to have the OS on SSD with drivers and nothing else. I modify my registers so that all other software installations are directed to the other physical HDD by default. This helps me to keep my SSD clean and mostly empty. But in Linux I don't know whether you can do this.

Would Virtualbox work instead of virt-manager? Does it work, and if yes, do I lose anything else than some hardcore-points?

Its no different to any visualization software (VMware, virtualbox etc) You create virtual filesystems (which are basically just simple files containing said filesystem) these are passed to the virtual machine as drives (windows will detect them as C:\, D:\ and so on) Its easy to move these virtual filesystems to other drives or locations (simply move the addfilenamehere.img (or more likely *.qcow2)) to a new location and update the paths in virt-manager (or however, virt-manager is just a front-end for various Hypervisors).

The linux rootfs is made up of various sub-directories with their own purpose and content. Most if not all Linux Distributions will default to installing all these sub-directories on a single drive/partition so all software you install will be located in that same drive/partition, but you can specify individually, where you would like these sub-directories to be mounted during install. You can get a description of what these sub-directories do here: http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/sect_03_01.html

Virtualbox uses its own Hypervisor which isnt a "Bare-metal" hypervisor such as KVM or Xen, therefore (at least afaik) you cant pass-through a GPU so the Virtual machine can access it directly.

Virt-manager, while having a similar interface to virtualbox is just a frontend for both KVM-Qemu and/ or Xen hypervisors, which its those hypervisors that do the "hardcore stuff" like GPU passthrough

1 Like

I was chatting with a friend about this yesterday. He mentioned that his brother ran into issues trying to run games on the VM saying that there are some games that can detect when they are being run on a VM and will refuse to run. Presumably this is to prevent botting. Has anyone ran into issues with this?

i havent had those issues but i didnt try to really run any games when i got this working. i got the heaven benchmark running and called it good. i know the NVIDIA driver detects if its in a VM and disables if it does so successfully.

For science, would it be possible to try out a few games and as well report the performance of the game?

i would but i dont have that setup running anymore. i did it as an experiment to see if it would work. i got it working and then took it down. i am currently in middle of a college semester so a weekend project was all i could afford

Back when I was running Windows in a kvm container and played games on it with a GPU or PCI passthrough, the performance in games was variable, some games were noticeably faster, most games were about the same, and a few games were struggling.

As I posted before, I wouldn't spend too much time setting up this kind of solution any more, for several reasons. The main being that the Steam boxes are released in November 2015 by Valve, and that most games will be ported anyway.

That certainly is the hope.

Do you know anything about games not running in VMs? To prevent people from botting/farming accounts on games?

So from what I've read, I could not do this with my 4770K?

I really wish I could, as I don't have money for another CPU.

Yes, I bet there are a bunch of us with Intel K CPUs (I have a 4770k too) that would like to try this out but can't. I will definitely look hard at AMD GPU's and CPUs for my next upgrade. The next generation of FX CPUs should be pretty powerful :)

that is correct. the 4770K doesn't have the VT-d extensions enabled. sorry

I would like some help with USB passthrough, specifically my Cooler Master CMStorm keyboard. I expected the keyboard to work without needing passthrough, but every key press halts the video, for as long as a key is pressed. Obviously, unacceptable for gaming.

Mouse and VGA passthrough were easy to configure in virt-manager, but the keyboard doesn't show up, even after I assign it to pci-stub or vfio-pci in GRUB (I've tried both). Thanks in advance!

A samba server running on the Linux host works really well for accessing Linux files from Windows, and configuration is easy and well-documented. I never want to access the Windows files except when running the Windows VM, so I don't know about that.

Question:

I set up an openSUSE vm just for seeing how it works, and I noticed some minor mouse lag (the vm mouse moved a bit behind my actual mouse). Would this occur in a Windows vm with the PCI pass-through and what not?

Well you would have to pass through a mouse+kb otherwise it wouldn't work.

Any VM's I have installed on my box (2500k, 16GB RAM, RAID 0 SSDs) have been buttery smooth (sans GPU).

Not at all. My mouse is also silky smooth. It's just the keyboard that's giving me trouble. When I find the solution for that I'll be sure to describe it here.