What IDE do you reccommend?

Just got my laptop running Ubuntu (wasn’t able to previously due to a strange issue i couldn’t figure out) and I’ve also been working on learning to code (Python specifically right now.)
Now the question, what’s your favorite IDE for use on linux specifically for python but also overall?

1 Like

Visual Studio Code, PyCharm, Vim, in that order.

PyCharm definitely has the most features and pretty good code analysis too. It integrates unit tests, package management (via pip), debugging, can display numpy arrays, jupyter notebooks, …

It’s really good. Except it’s also slow and a RAM hog. That’s why I like VSCode a bit more.

7 Likes

Thanks I’ll give VS Code a try.

1 Like

To be a downer, PyCharm does a lot of things for you that you would be better served (right now) learning to do manually :wink:

I like JetBrains products, but I’ve grown to appreciate my free (as in beer) software and have tailored Vim to suit my development environment.

I’m not as fast or productive, yet, but I can get around almost as much as I can in Intellij or Visual Studio.

As @pFtpr said, VS Code is great, it’s a powerful editor that you can customize and expand into a full fledged IDE.

If you get into the Data Science stuff with Python, Spyder and Jupyter are a lot of fun.

2 Likes

This is true, but on the other hand PyCharm also points out mistakes and broken conventions that you would have never noticed with other editors.

IMO it doesn’t matter which editor you start out with. Just make sure to try out several of them as you get more comfortable with python.

There’s also PyCharm Edu, which is specifically tailored for learning and teaching python. I’ve never used it, but it could well be worth a try.

PyCharm community is free as in freedom and free as in beer :wink:

2 Likes

i3wm with and a bunch of terminals. And Emacs. Yes, I am dead serious. There is nothing more flexible than this, giving me full control of when and where to run gdb, make, et cetera.

In my opinion, Emacs has three major things that makes it superior to most other IDEs/editors, Multi Major Mode, org mode and magit. And of course a bunch of convenient minor modes, such as undo-tree, a package management system, a great vim emulator and of course, intellisense-like autocomplete functionality.

As for drawbacks, the learning threshold will hurt more than a kick to the nuts, as emacs does not even come as a precompiled package with all the conveniences. Instead you must spend a few weeks putting it together on your own. And it will feel hack-ish and unelegant and clunky in the beginning, until you’ve stopped using the mouse for everything.

If you want something easier, then Visual Studio Code is the way to go. Still recommend i3wm though! Happy hunting! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Valid point.

Also important! I hate Eclipse but others swear by it for Java/C++

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I was speaking in the broader scope, but you are correct.

1 Like

Google is watching me… You recommend PyCharm (literally first time I’ve heard of it) and now youtube is recommending a PyCharm tutorial…

1 Like

On Linux vscode suits me the best. I’ve tried some stuff recently, also Windows only, but I’d say that overall it would also be vscode. Now, as for Python, I’m not writing a lot of it, but the choice is surprisingly vscode. I like vim and I’m using it when ssh’ing for example, but it’s difficult to switch editors when I’ve been using one for a year, about 10h a day. Especially that I’ve found vim’s extensions quite… clunky.

Now pretty much anything can be achieved with a plugin. For example in Microsoft’s extension for Golang, it automatically fixes the code style according to gofmt.

I recommend getting the ghostery extension. Also, Firefox has the isolated tab feature with an extension to isolate all Google services automatically.

I use IntelliJ at work, but thats because I don’t have to pay the licensing myself. But Visual Studio code is a great editor that I use constantly.

The free version of IntelliJ is still pretty well featured though if you don’t want to pay for it.

I would recommend PyCharm, there is even EDU version to help beginners. After couple of years of using free version of PyCharm, I’ve purchased Professional (needed for Flask/Django). Worth every penny!

http://Spacemacs.org is approaching IDE level

1 Like

I use Pycharm at work. (I own a professional version as well) Sublime Text, and IDLE (yes Python’s own IDE It comes with it ! )

so If I had to choose my favorit in Order,
1 . Sublime Text
2 . Pycharm (I use Professional for ssh and other features )
3 . IDLE

Privacy Badger is your friend

holy shit, I’m now tempted to give this a go. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Been using a little notepad++, Geany, IDLE, just started with pyCharm, been meaning to try out wing

PyCharm is probably the best and most complete IDE, so if that’s what you’re looking for then you should pick that. If you rather want something simple and lightweight in comparison then you should use VS Code. Both have plugin support.

I really like both, but I love that JetBrains has IDEs meant for specific languages. That way I don’t need to spend a lot of time figuring out what plugins I probably should have.

PyCharm community edition is also free.