What I Though Of the Titan Z

How long is it before we get a Titan Z Ti Superclocked boost tri-x cooler card or some shit. As far as I was aware the demand for Titans was pretty much dead now anyway

Everyone is yelling overpriced. I don't think anyone realises how much R&D goes into putting two GK110s onto ONE PCB, and then actually making it work irl and not just on paper.

I've used both SLI and Crossfire and can honestly say that I never ran into any issues with either setup. So I'm not so sure how you quantify "maturity", but I sure couldn't see a measurable difference.

7990 upon release was plagued with issues. frame times issues, Noticable Tearing. and the card not performing as it should. AMD's Driver support used to be terrible. not anymore. however even Ryan Shrout in multiple videos proved that SLI and Crossfire have their issues. but AMD has more issues with Crossfire than Nvidia has with SLI.

I was ranting about this but I think Linus had a pretty good take on it. He basically said that this shouldn't be looked at as a gaming card, and not so much as a quadro but as a Cuda card. Mainly because for gaming, it makes no sense. Two 780 ti's are half the price and will perform much better. The titan z is estimated to be clocked at around 700mhz, which puts it at a major disadvantage to the 876mhz of a 780 ti. The ti can also overclock higher because of its better cooling. We probably won't see non-reference Titan Z's, so any non-reference 780 ti will probably run 10c or more cooler than the stock Titan z. So with gpu boost 2.0 boosting higher just off lower temps, the ti will then boost much higher by default. This all adds to the Titan Z's price just making it an idiotic choice for a gamer. But when you look into the scenario of a cuda dev, you start to get the picture. Cuda dev's have the budget for multiple Titan Z's. So them getting 2-4 Titan Z's is actually a very smart choice. You can't sli 4 Titan Z's, but for purposes like rendering or cuda development, there is software made to use that many Gpu cores. And in those applications you don't need all the Quadro features, just the double precision which the Titan Z also has. That's really the market Nvidia is trying to sell to. Its GeForce branded but its made for developers. The Nvidia presenter was targeting developers at the reveal event. He was saying stuff like you can have a supercomputer right beside your desk. That isn't really meant for gamers, but for professional users who could actually use all that power.                

If they marketed it as a Quadro than it would limit the market. Thats why they labelled it as a GeForce so everyone can look at it and think "imagine the power i can have to do [X] if i buy this." instead of it being "Well i guess those CAD guys will have a good christmas with that kind of power in a Quadro."

No, to market it as a quadro they'd have to add a lot more developer features WAY beyond double precision. 

I've already ordered several.

I assume you'll be using them as door stops

I ordered them off Ebay. Several pounds each. It'll probably be a cereal box with a brick inside. So yeah... doorstops.

Seems legit

If they marketed it as a Quadro don't you think they would? The point is its not marketed as one because it isn't exclusively a workstation card. 

Crossfire between Hawaii chips is a totally different beast. They have the XDMA block for hardware frame timing, no need for a crossfire bridge, and the technical possibility (if they allow it) of as many crossfired cards as you can fit in your case. It's a fundamental shift in how much and which data needs to be sent between cards, and comparing it with the old crossfire setups isn't very meaningful.

They wouldn't even consider it because they already have the Quadro K6000. That card has just as much V-ram but half the cuda cores of the Titan Z. The only was people would buy the K6000 would be if they kept the Quadro drivers/features exclusive to it and the other Quadro's. The only reason they get people to buy Quadro's is for the certified drivers and Quadro exclusive features. If they gave all that to the Titan Z for $2000 less and the advantage of literally double the cuda, then nobody would buy the Quadro K6000. Its there way of making sure that people that need all the Quadro features have to spend 5K per card.    

Nvidia makes a huge amount in overpriced Quadro cards. They are great for rendering due to their superior stability and acruacy of colours but they are lacking heavily in performance. They are based off old GPU's and are only sold because they can make money off professionals who just are following recommendations. They also have special drivers and bios so they do not perform well in gaming but are not held back in CAD and other areas. While on the other hand a 780 will blow away most games and yet struggles in some aspects. However just like the 780 ti is just a handicapped Titan Black, The Quadro K6000 is a titan running a slightly modified PCB and double the ram. Not to mention the K6000 is in fact slower than the Titan Black and now that we have the Titan Z, It is a card that will render double as fast as a Titan for more than 2 times less than the K6000 .

The price of the Titan in NZ is $1,800. A Titan black $1,900. A Titan Z will be about $4,000. A K6000 is $10,000. 5 times less than a "Gaming" grade card that can out perform it. The only card that can out perform the Titan Black currently is the Tesla K20. And that is a $5,200 card. Out performs every card except the Z of cause and well seeing as when you are rendering out video, You can use as many GPU's as your system can hold. 

Running an Asrock Extreme11 running 7 cards for rendering in a bisuness where time = money, I would take 7 Titan Z's over a Quadro K6000 or Tesla K20 anyday and so do many PROFESIONAL companies that need systems to render video as Fast as Possible.

The only reason why the Titan and following versions are marketed under the brand Geforce is because they know that there are idiots who would buy it. No one would buy a Quadro K6000 over 4 Titan Blacks unless they needed that colour depth and even if they did, They could run a single basic Quadro for under $1,000 and fill every other slot with Titan Z's 

The Quadro is an overpriced piece of trash. With very little going for it and that list increasing with companies like Autodesk removing the handicaps on gaming cards. When the Titan came out, a range of Geforce 600 series cards were put side by side with the Quadro's as officially supported for the first time. Soon after the 700 series including the titan joined the ranks. There is no coincidence in that. Quadro's are being fazed out for the average person in animation. Not to mention the needed hybrid for Game Developers. Who need the power in 3DS Max along with the power in game. 

The Titan is a workstation card. It was the start of a hybrid between gaming and Quadro's. They are marketed towards gamers for the idiots with too much money while provide the performance and price that Quadro does not provide.

I know what I am talking about. I talked with people in the industry when I built MY system because I needed that hybrid that buying a quadro could not fill at the price point I was looking at. I was coming from a GTX 560 going into the game design industry and I needed a system that could Pull its weight in games while being powerful enough in modeling and animation software.

I was looking at a K4000. A card that costs the same as a Titan now, Was double its price a year ago when I was looking. Performance the same as my GTX 560 in games and less performance than a 780 in 3DS Max when it comes to rendering?

The line between a workstation card and gaming card is where the Price to performance holds. The days of Quadro's and Tesla's being the only cards for workstations is over. It is on what performs best for the job. the Titan's do not perform best for gaming but is a rocket in rendering. The Titan Z is for people who need to cram as much CUDA Cores into their system as possible. Professional software is a land that is not hampered by "SLI"  It is now a place where all it comes down to precition needs that Quadro is not necessarily better and down right performance.

I think you have missed the point....

I typed it up, realized you said something different but just posted it because I felt like it lolz

Why sell it as a quadro when they can market it for gaming?  Then dumb gamers buy their overpriced nonsense, and smart developers buy their under priced "pseudo-quadro".  Nvidia still gets their money, and it helps give them a bigger market in the developers side, while still being able to claim gaming records and benchmarks tops.  Its all in the marketing really.  

If they say its a gaming card, but it performs like a workstation card (and lays waste to benchmarks) then they have an advantage, because its "the best" gaming gpu based on that kind of assessment.  The people who can really use this kind of card can see through the smoke and can still benefit from it, so it wont be an issue anyways.  Plus this keeps them from cannibalizing their other products in the workstation realm.  Smart move.

they have no reason to be scared of amd

The Quadro and Firepro cards don't get their price tag from performace, it's support. If you're working with a team of engineers, making working computer models of the next engine for a major automobile manufacturer, you better believe your computer has a quadro or firepro card in it. You need to make sure there is support for all the different programs you might be using in a professional setting; which gaming cards don't have. Also, workstation cards typically can support quite a few more monitors, but that isn't where the price justification comes in.