What headphone amp to get [HD600, HE-400]

So I may have fried my asgard v1 with some water.

So I'm in the market for a new AMP. I currently have HD600s and HE-400s, I plan to get a high end pair of cans (LCD-2 or HD800 likely, open to other brands) in a few years.

I'm thinking of giving tubes a try since I always have used Solid state amps.

What do you guys recommend? I was thinking maybe a used Lyr, Little Dot mk3 or something chinese.

Antique sound labs MK what ever. This thing.

http://www.divertech.com/aslmgheaddt.html

I do nothing but rave about tubes. I am listening to a custom built tube amp that cost me a couple thousand dollars, and this thing sounds 95% as good.

The friend who built my amp has one of these things as a fun amp to take to head-fi meets and it just absolutely kills everything else.

The lyr sounds like a joke in comparison. I literally can not say enough good things about this.

1 Like

For solid state I would go with SMSL Audio Va2.

1 Like

looks nice, but out of budget, but I can't seem to find a link to buy it

You have to email them or call them to place your order.

They will then send you an invoice on paypal so that you have a secure payment method.

A lot of boutique places do not have the capital to have a stock of amps lying around. So most amps are pretty much custom made for the customer once an order has been placed.

1 Like

what headphones did you use with this?

LCD-2, HD650s, HD800, HE-500, Random grado headphones. fostex T50-rp, denon AH-D5000

The list goes on.

The cool thing about this amp is that there is a switch to change the amp from OTL to transformer coupled.

OTL is great for high impedance headphones like the sennheiser headphones, and transformer coupled is great for everything else.

So it literally plays well with everything.

1 Like

I will look into it! maybe it will be an Xmas present to my self, but converting to cad + shipping its gonna cost me 1k...... which is a little steep, I could buy LCD-2s for that price almost.