What games actually crash from too many CPU cores?

I never have encountered this issue, but I would just run it in a VM (which is always good to have for old games). This seems to be an issue only with older games. The future of all problems is virtual.

I could understand if the CPU is so new, that the software perceives being hotwired
Likes of GTAV and others, when its FPS gets run down by newer-gen hardware, hosting all sorts of hitchery and flipbook sequences [if not just offing itself]
But by too many cores? Only guess I could make, is if the core assignment bounces
about… making game think, that the rig is cracking up

Stanley Parable. Had to bring my Threadripper down to 8 cores to play that.

I also have a couple of games that must be installed on the C: drive to run or they just don’t work.

1 Like

Really Stanley Parable? mine runs okay on a 1920x, and NUMA was a problem in some games

not tried for the Tuesday achievement yet tho.

Any way I can try and replicate?
Is there a particular bit it gets stuck on?

Tldr

GTA V online Crashses when using more than 8 Cores and causes microstutter. Got it working fine when limiting to 6Cores.

Iam running an Threadripper pro 16 Core

For me the game screen loaded, but when you click “Play” it CTD’d.

This was the solution I followed:

Could it be that you are in Legacy mode already?

shame, my main system is down for maintenance, so I can’t test right this minute.
because of your post, I am actually half way thru the first attempt at the commitment challenge, but I’ve got it running on my windows box.
will check when I can

I lost my commitment challenge. I got married. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Four years later, I finally have your answer. It’s not “Intel FUD” as another commenter had posted. You asked your original question back in August '20. I don’t know if you care anymore. I only have this answer because I am a bigtime gamer, and several games I have wouldn’t work on my new Win11 rig precisely because they have too many cores. In the process of trying to get them to run (which I did, BTW), I discovered your message on an accidental google search.

Here they are:
Child of Light
The Technomancer
Shaun White’s Snowboarding
Nights of Azure

There might be other games as well, this list is only the ones I know about. If you don’t believe me, go to Steam and check the comments section of the game “Child of Light” – you will see a bunch of irate customers demanding a refund because there game doesn’t launch. The solution I used to get it to work is to set a parameter to tell my system it was using 8 cores, that is also in the “Child of Light” comments section.

3 Likes