What game are you currently playing thread?

I’ve been playing Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, while also learning how to build a proper fort in Dwarf Fortress. I’ve also gone back to New Vegas, which is one of those games that I adore and have played a lot but have never actually finished.

1 Like

I picked up Hellblade on GoG a week ago:

Thus far, I’ve enjoyed the game :slightly_smiling_face:
However, there seems to be a bug on AMD cards that cripples performance after a certain point in the game. Even setting everything to low does not help. Therfore, I decided to wait until a patch is released.

Edit 1: I just received a patch for Hellblade, but unfortunately, it does not resolve the AMD issue:
hellblade_patch

Edit 2: Since I’ve been playing Hellblade for a couple of hours I’ll post my opinion as well: I’ve really enjoyed it thus far. It surprisingly refreshing to be playing a non-openworld game without a shitload of collectibles and a mandatory RPG spec tree. The gameplay itself consists of fighting and solving puzzles and as of now, the fighting hasn’t gotten out of hand. The best part of the game is its atmosphere and Senua’s condition. (I hope for a psychosis related surprise similar to Spec: Ops at the end. Of course if there happens to be such a surprise, I won’t be posting anything here due to spoiler reasons :smiley: )

3 Likes

I’ve kinda stuck to the realtime strategy game Steel Division - Normandy 44 for most of my recent gaming.

It released in May but never got very big online. I don’t know how well it sold but it might partly be that some like me mostly stick to the offline part of the game. While it doesn’t have a huge campaign, what often gets me hooked on good RTS games is the “Skirmish” mode against AI. And that’s on overall a very good thing in this game. I began playing 1vs1 against the AI while learning the basics, and now that I’m familiar with most aspects I’m having fun in 3vs3 games with me and two AI on one side vs three AI on the other. For about 150 hours of playing I have yet to try the campaign and might just skip it, and have barely touched online. Playing for rank doesn’t really appeal to me, though on the other hand I feel I have to go online sometimes to kinda support the game as the active online player base seems low. The game hasn’t had any sales campaign yet either for some reason, but I can’t see it taking much longer for the first.

On overall it’s a game with a larger setting than for instance Company of Heroes 2, one that I’ve played quite a bit but found a bit too hectic and dependant on clicking “abilities” in the long run. That’s not to say Steel Division doesn’t give you your hands full, but it’s a game that has you zoom out much more for the most part and where the economy plays a smaller role compared to most similar RTS’es, with more time left concentrating on the units. There’s no base building for instance. (and for the thousands of hours I’ve spent playing base building RTS’es that’s kinda refreshing)

To get an idea of what the game is (or can be at least) I recommend watching some videos of VulcanHDGaming on YouTube as he’s both a good player and a good commentator. I’ll link to one 3vs3 match. Skip to the 3:00 mark if you want to see from where the match starts without the setup phase.

2 Likes

I have always wished I could play RTS games but it just takes so much effort. My mind can’t handle all that is thrown at a player. Still though hope you are enjoying things with the game and from what I read it sounds like you are. Happy Gaming!

It’s funny how things work sometimes. I sat down to play this for a very short time as I had a little time to kill before heading out on Saturday to go to the track and well I decided to continue a saved game that showed from another Steam account and well in a very short time I made some progression. I am very happy about that as I am a bad gamer and things often take much longer for me than others but here I got something done quick. A nice change and hopefully in the future this happens more.

Recently got my new machine up and running and decided to play Bioshock 1. I have not replayed it since 2009. It’s been an itch for awhile now.

1 Like

Amnesia is such a wonderful game. It took me awhile to get up the nerve to complete it. I’ve never replayed it, its not something I would say is fun the second time around, it’s all about the fear and once you have gotten through it, you feel like you mastered it.

Technically wise, you could figure out the mechanics of the AI in the game.

I would consider Alien Isolation to be the next step up. No matter what, I could never pin point the AI’s actions and how it worked. It made it much more fear inducing and I’d say I lost a stone in weight just from the stress of that one.

Another one to check out is SOMA, by the Amnesia guys. It’s less jump scare and more psychological, it’s story is wonderful and it’s ending hit you in your core. I loved it for what is was.

1 Like

For SOMA, there is even a nonviolent mod where the enemies in the game do not attack you at all of if anyone desires it. For some, it actually enhances the experience and atmosphere of the game.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=560988617

I’ve started playing overwatch this week. Oh my am I in love. Kinda feel bad for my 1080 though, it must be bored with it’s lack of effort.

I was playing rust for a bit to get away from hackers in csgo and got bored of css. The tipping point of permafelete from my account was a nonadmin who was friends with the admin tjat had aimbot and noclip who stole 13k of stone without a proper raid and picking up a locked down auto turret I spent 5 hours getting resources for.

So at that point I decided it wasn’t worth my time and a waste of 20 bucks and blasted it off my account.

Don’t play rust.

I’m in the Dreadnought club. I’ve been looking for a spaceship skirmish game for so long.

2 Likes

Finally got Legend of Grimrock II installed and have been enjoying that game a bit. Also jumped on the bandwagon of playing StarCraft since it went free. Complete nostalgia, and still suck, but loving it nonetheless!

2 Likes

You know you are a gamer 4 when …

You put in at least 9 hours in your last gaming session.

I was playing The Division. In the end I played with a really nice people who were patient with me when I told them I couldn’t figure out how to throw grenades & even eat food to get health back while doing various quests / events. In the end I did learn from one guy how to do the things I could not figure out on my own. Yes I could have looked them up but at times I hate doing that because if it isn’t simple in the game then maybe it isn’t a game worth playing. Anyway I now know how to do what I couldn’t do & just need to practice. Also the guy that helped me added me to his friends list which was nice… Finally like I said to my friend online for at 4 years now I wish they would find a cure for needing sleep. I don’t want to have to do it. I want to game endlessly when I darn well want to. I do not want great gaming fun to end on terms that are not mine. Just sayin’.

1 Like

Mount & Blade Warband: https://www.gog.com/game/mount_blade_warband
A “Realistic” fantasy RPG cross first/third person armed combat-er set in a mediaeval Europe-esque land. Loads of castle sieges and hundred per side battles. Not your typical total war or that other first person mediaeval combat game that came out. Also quick play and multiplayer battles to boot.
HIGHLY recommend picking it up especially at 75% off on GOG.
Over 1 in-game year into my current game as the infamous Lady Jeff.

2 Likes

My Summer Car, just absolute shit tons of My Summer Car.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Hellblade’s AMD issue is apparently fixed:

hellfix

1 Like

I just got done playing 2 hours + of Outlast on Xbox One. I can’t remember the last time I had an actual true jump scare reaction from a movie or video game. I actually jumped up and yelled from what I saw on screen. They weren’t kidding about this being scary. I also have a witness to say I actually was really scared and did what I did.

10/10 on Steam and 4.5/5 on MS … those are the quick ratings I have seen for this game.

I knew it was a good one before playing it but what happened tonight cinched it for me.

2 Likes

Fucking chocolates man, fucking chocolates … :chocolate_bar::snake: smh :expressionless:

1 Like

Started playing Pillar’s of the Earth Book 1. Only got through the prologue and chapter 1, but so far it’s really interesting.

It kind of feels like the Banner Saga without the combat. Supposedly this book/episode averages at around 5h, so if you check the nearest corner you’ll find the jaws previously belonging to Telltale employees on the ground.

1 Like