What does the MIT license require of me if I'm creating a commericial product?

Hello,

So if I take a code that's under the MIT license, rework that code into my project (basic logic is the same, but tweak data structure and a few functions) and the build the project, such as game engine; what's required of me to provide to the end user?

1 Like

That depends on if and/or how the license is moddifed and what variant the license is. MIT License is a broad term that covers a fair amount of other types of licenses.

I cant give you any real advice without being able to read the actual license shipped with the source code but there are a few thing i believe should always be followed when using someone elses code

Credit - Always give credit to the author of the code
Permission - Ask for permission and tell them what your using the source code in
Copyright Notice - almost EVERY open source license requires you to include the copyright notice and maybe a permission notice

These are the main things you should try and do but the specific license may have other requirements like not being able to sell anything with the source code in it, not being closed source, etc.

1 Like

From "Choose A License"

The MIT License is a permissive license that is short and to the point. It lets people do anything they want with your code as long as they provide attribution back to you and don’t hold you liable.

Sounds about how I remember it.