What does Level one read?

i run out of content and my bookmark bar is lame

what sites do you check?

i meant sites, i dont have any other sites and would like a few to check when im not working

some of the books look like good reads but i still, sites

1 Like

Others:

1 Like

We have a ā€œwhat are you reading nowā€ topic on the forum which has loads of suggestions:

We also have/had a book club but Iā€™m not sure if its still going, maybe somebody can correct me on this?

2 Likes

I only really picked up reading for personal enjoyment in the summer of 2016, having not read an awful lot as a child/teen. I spend most of my days programming and reading papers so it was never something I felt like turning to, until I got a kindle.

Books that I really enjoyed, and would definitely recommend:

The Sympathizer - fiction based during/after the Vietnam war.
Nineteen Eighty-Four - oof, this was so hard to put down, and left a real empty feeling afterwards.
Artemis - Andy Weir, same guy who wrote The Martian, so a similar feel, but a really enjoyable story.

Ones on the reading list:

Eisenhorn omnibus - Warhammer 40k stories are surprisingly good.
Sapiens and Homo Deus - same author, history of the homo sapiens, and then a glance at the future of mankind.
Other Minds - A look at a different kind of intelligent creature evolving separately to us: the octopus.

2 Likes

Just currently since itā€™s piqued my curiosity again.

Aside from that. Some Clive Cussler books. Currently these two.

I also recently acquired this one: (Itā€™s bloody awesome!)

1 Like

I got your back, bub:

Zero Day and Trojan Horse have been great.

Trigger Warning: He uses Windows to save the day.

Someone mentioned Warhammer 40k, I highly recommend The Horus Heresy.

Also canā€™t go wrong with Wool, S, or anything by Brandon Sanderson.

2 Likes

Apart from work-related stuff and news (tech?) you prolly have hobbies or other interests as well to get your mind off for a bit.

2 Likes

na, home lab is life. this place is awesome but L1T only has so many new posts everyday

1 Like

Check out the docs available at RedHat, a plethora of good reads for breaks or when going to bed.

1 Like

Always fun to check up on Ars and see what theyā€™re up to.

CityPages can be fun if youā€™re in the Minneapolis metro area. If youā€™re not, I highly recommend finding a similar site for your local area.

Generally my reading is directed at a project. ZFS, green energy, Linux, etc.

2 Likes

Man pages.

4 Likes

@Dynamic_Gravity oh you so funny

~Chinese accent~

books usually

Lol Iā€™m serious, I spend too much time reading how stuff works. Iā€™m a ā€˜standard nerdā€™ as some would say.

1 Like

The Horus Heresy novels were my gateway and they are so fucking good. Fulgrim was one of my favourite books, for sure. Just, donā€™t go into the series with the intention of making it through all of them. They release far too many nowadays. The original trilogy is a great self-contained start to the universe, and you can branch out to other books if you want, as the the next 4 at least are set at the same time, from different perspectives if Iā€™m not mistaken.

Im sure needing to know the why of things is what brings most of us here.

Haha pretty much, so at least we donā€™t feel as alone in our tech problems.

1 Like

I check Ars Technica daily. The Verge and Digital Trends are similarly good.
This one may seem off at first but bear with me.
http://www.cracked.com/

Cracked used to be a crappy MAD magazine ripoff, but has far surpassed it on the internet.
Itā€™s basically funny list articles. But many of the lists are informative and teach history while I LMAO.

Everyone can use a bit of daily humor with all the bad news in the world.
Or to read a bad news story with a sense of humor.

Screenshot(119)
Screenshot(121)

The Pictofacts articles are like a meme list with a topic.

Screenshot(120)

drudgereport.com It may be a news aggregation site but even then I pick and choose what I read, anything going to a british tabloid like dailymail, telegraph, sun or daily star, I avoid like plague, all clickbait shit there are others as well but too many to list

twitter, I follow a whole bunch of 3d printing peeps and some tech tubers but not many

Not really a site but the Lounge as a whole
please just dont be that guy and say ā€œI canā€™t keep upā€, treat it like a chat but with the format of a thread. I really do get a lot of info from it, you just have to read all of it, which if youā€™re bored, is incredibly easy.

Forum threads in general, the Intel Fubar thread has been quite entertaining to say the least

swiping left on my android phoneā€™s homescreen to see whatever Google thinks I would consider news.

Books? mmm nope, college textbooks is as far as I go

As far as memes go I get new ones almost exclusively from the politically incorrect board on 4chan, nothing more needs to be said one can only wonder what response this sentence will inspire

1 Like

One of my friend suggest me to read ā€˜Gitanjaliā€™ Letā€™s see how is this one. :slight_smile: