What do you use that needs a lot of threads?

I do a bunch of CAD and rendering work. I’m excited to roll my own VDI setup so I can not lug a 7lb engineering workstation around with me.

I’d like to see some KDEnLive benchmarks since it uses the CPU primarily. Also, Blender Video renders…

8K video encoding. If a single 64-core Epyc can do 8K HDR 60fps on a proprietary encoder, we just need the open source encoders to be tuned to be just as good as that.

Running caesar-lisflood simulations

1 Like

C++ lol

2 Likes

whats the wait%

No idea, sorry :confused:

Neat, that’s a topic I’ve never really though about before.

I maxed out about 25 servers with 32~ cores each with some scraping jobs for a couple of hours. Sad I lost the screenshots of that, may try to find them again.

Aw man, I’d rather have 2 x 3950x after giving it some consideration. The first thing that comes to mind for me is stitching 100’s of photos into a 3d model. It takes hours on my current 7yr old rig (4.5Ghz I7-3770K). Been waiting on Intel 10nm forever. AMD overtook them as far as I’m concerned.

De duplication of large data sets would be something that could take advantage of that many cores. Fuzzy matching or deep learning pipelines using locality sensitive hashing and tokanisation to reduce search space for likely matches. This has killed my personal rig and some of my colleagues servers with 44 threads and 128gb ram. It could benefit from the extra ram capacity to store the data and cores to perform the compute.

1 Like

When I built my current computer, I thought a 9900K would be more than enough to suit my needs for a while… Now I’m compressing and decompressing data sets that are several terabytes in size and Threadripper is looking nice. I’m currently running a pigz compression job that’s going to take a total of about 25 days to complete.

1 Like

VRM control scheme of the Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha,
is basically the same as the previous board.
Still an 8 phase with doubled up components per phase.
Asus calls it Themed phases, so it means 16 power stages and 16 chokes.
The only difference is that they have upgraded the actual power stages,
on the Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha.
They now use 90A Infineon TDA21490’s power stages.

It’s probably a little bit overkill for normal usage.
But still good to see them doing it anyways.
Of course the 3990X has double the amount of cores compared to the 3970X.
So in that regards it can pull a significant amount of more current.

1 Like

Screenshot%20(987)
This

3 Likes

Just took a peek at Digital Foundry, and the Star Citizen 3.8 patch with procedural planet generation from metadata might actually tax 64 cores on a fiber connection with an RTX Titan.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.