What do YOU need in a PC?

My bare minimum (my every day laptop) is my Lenovo Thinkpad T400 from 2008 (Core2Duo T9400, 4GB RAM, hdd & 900p display). Bought it for 100 a year ago. Didn't feel doubling the price of it to add an ssd was worth it.

It's good enough to run KDE Plasma 5 without locking up at all. It struggles when using some heavier IDEs like Android Studio but perfect for text editor development and the likes.

I do admit to having a much more powerful desktop though.

My BAE screams for coars, so minimum of 12 for me.

#gentoolife

i needed a pfsense box.
so an old sempron 145 , 4GB ram, a small ssd , several network cards (dual WAN) and a old case/psu were pressed into service. most of which i had lying around anyways.
i tried to unlock the sempron into a athlon IIxe , but it had several strange issues. i have returned it to its sempron roots to test this.

Rails to mount my radiator

2 Likes

Why don't you just... get a new case?

Really I just need a high end CPU for rendering work and a reasonable GPU for the times I play games (only play at 1080p) and I have more than enough of both.

If it wasnt for that I would rock a core2duo or something all day with no problem.

1 Like

My rig serves my needs just fine. It's a simple fx6300, 8GB ram, 2GB 270x, and a couple hard drives (no ssd because idgaf about speed. 30 second boot time is enough for me to get all situated anyway).

I have but 1 absolute need: Can it play Carball?

I also like it to run Warframe, minecraft, gtav (idgaf about the settings... came from console so anything is better than that), and a few other low demand games. I play games that I find fun, not ones to test my system. I enjoy playing games not running benchmarks.

3 Likes

That's just my Linux PC, so nothing really fancy needed. I just got any case that just works.

On another hand though, I am planning to get rid off that case I have owned for just over a month. The way you mount the top fan is odd; you need the rails to even mount one 120mm fan on the top. Otherwise it's a no-go. On Ebay, there is a user who has these rails I need but going by the cost and also the shipping cost too, I find it too uncalled for to get them, where I could get a Corsair 800D for just $135NZD.

All I need is a decent quad-core, 8GBs of memory, 1080p display and Linux but naturally my current setup out weights those requirement by quite a large margin but anything lower than those requirements would make it difficult for me to get stuff done.

Does it really work if you need to zip tie the radiator? :stuck_out_tongue:

Zip ties are a perfectly valid mounting solution for a lot of things.
They are basically brand agnostic universal mounting hardware.

6 Likes

Bare minimum, as is pure need without any extras? A laptop with a cpu that can playback 1080p youtube video I'd say would be enough for most of my workloads, as that is probably the most demanding task. 2GB RAM. A usb port and a sata to usb adaptor. A linux distro and 40GB of storage.

Edit: oh and some wifi capability and an audio jack :slight_smile:

1 Like

There we go.

Then you can even extrapolate a whole bunch of other tasks from that.

1 Like

You mean a tablet? Because a tablet is basically exactly what you described there...

1 Like

Yeah though I'd like there to be support for a free distribution of Linux. Probably should have added that. Also it would make my life a lot easier if I could have a hardware keyboard, that's why i said a laptop.

1 Like

keyborrdz r bttr

That is what I would consider a mobile device for ... mobile device things like you described. And @psycho_666 is right in pointing out that it gets fuzzy around that performance level. But of course form factor and architecture is also a thing. :wink:

My minimum carry around computer matches your description. (It isa little higher spec but it serves that purpose) Still, I need the photo stuff, just not all the time.

2 Likes

I was going to type almost the exact same thing except i dont "need" a ssd but since they cost the same as a mechanical drive it's kinda silly if you don't use one for at least the OS

1 Like

Need is always such a loose term when it comes to computers.

1 Like

Well I would put into the "need" category because once you get used to systems with SSDs everything else looks so slugghish also for a portable device like a notebook is a gosend because if it takes a hit or get's dropped you're not going to lose all of your data.

P.S. i forgot to say that it's a bit more power efficient than a traditional HDD

2 Likes