What do you look for in games?

When you become interested in a game title what are your typical reasons for doing so? What attributes make the biggest difference for you?

Developer reputation? Theme of the story? Gameplay style? Performance optimizations?

I find that I mostly look for something that 'feels' natural to play and has a good story. For example, any game that steals my control from the character to show a 'cool' animation sequence really pulls me out of the game, so I try to avoid that. If the beginning, middle, and end of the story of the game is obvious just by watching a trailer I know it's probably not that interesting. Multiplayer just feels like a cash grab most of the time, with endless micro transactions and DLC packages.

So, what would be the perfect game for you?

1 Like

It depends on the type of game. In first person shooter multiplayer games I look soft game play and mechanics which promote strong teamwork and squad play. Working together with other players is the most important over any other feature in FPS. That is why i have grown increasingly frustrated with the direction battlefield has gone after BF2. They had a really good system in BF2 with in game VoIP with different channels for squad, squad leaders, and commander and Project reality really expanded on those squad play mechanics, but it seems the BF franchise just threw it away.

As for other games in general I enjoy open world game play where you can approach something from any angle rather then being stuck on a linear path, with the exception to single player games with a really strong story like metro. I agree with you on the game taking control, that is never OK, weather its for a sequence or for a finishing move like a finishing knife stab in BF3+

1 Like

I typically play shooters so for me I usually am interested in satisfying gun noise and I look to see how much effort they put into hit boxes and little graphical details (like if bodies stay or disappear and if bullet casings stay on the ground lol) don't really care about the story, so far titanfall has the top spot in my books

1 Like

replay value. that's about it. i would like to continue playing some games until i'm 30 if given the opportunity.

1 Like
  • Replayability without getting bored
  • Characters
  • Art Style
  • Game Mechanics
  • Lore
  • Acceptable Pricing
  • When was it made and the following today
  • UI that is good and doesn't suck
  • Not mechanically broken on purpose (a.k.a Dark Souls)
  • Not by a scumbag company (Ubisoft, EA, Activision, Warner Brothers, Capcom, Koei Tecmo, Konami, etc.)
  • Storyline that makes some sense (not convoluded) or is entertaining
  • Tight Controls
  • Moddable if possible
  • Multiplayer as a bonus, but not necessary

Here's my current top ten no order so you can see what I like:

1. Dragonball Z: Budokai 3
  2. F-Zero X
  3. Fallout (series)
  4. Golden Sun (series)
  5. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
  6. Mass Effect 2 (too bad Bioware partnered with EA, best of the trilogy IMO)
  7. Resident Evil 4 (yes I know this is capcom, but this is before they finally lost it)
  8. Sid Meier's Civilization 5
  9. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
  10. Warioland 4

My perfect game would derive from a combination of various factors. Don't think it'll ever be made.

1 Like

I look for fun.

Well depends on the type of game, personally I love RPG's and FPS's.

For RPG's story and gameplay mechanics are all that really matter to me. If the game can keep me interested with my tiny attention span for more that a few hours I know I have a winner. Graphics and sound design also really help with immersion.

For FPS's I like a wide variety, I lean towards fast paced (twitch) shooters quake, xonotic, double action boogaloo etc. But I like strategic shooters as well, team work is always fun with friends. But I also like the less serious genre of shooters, games where you can goof around try out crazy tactics.

But I will have to say that performance is a huge factor, a game doesn't even have to be that great, but if it performs well then at least its playable. You can have the greatest gameplay, best story, every possible GOTY feature, but if you are getting sub par framerates, then you might as well shoot yourself in the foot.

1 Like
  1. immersion
  2. continuity
  3. immersion
  4. co-op
  5. immersive co-op with good continuity

If "The Long Dark" was co-op it would kick ass more than it has ever kicked ass before.
PVE! If I want PvP I'll play a shooter or rts. I want a PvE survival game w/o zombies.
Also NEStalgia is close but I want a more in depth turn based multiplayer RPG.
Started a few times working on a game like that but I always go overboard and quit. Always at the part where I decide that the game needs a level limit of 999,999,999. then it degrades into weapons gaining levels and money level and the level of the levels, skills that level up that you can level up different characteristics of the skill with 100,000% more levels per level.....

1 Like

I look for ways to cheat.

1 Like

One that is complete. That is not a barely passable broken mess. No pay to win. Something that is not a clone of clone of clone of another clone that was a clone of something else. :) And for Christ's sake stop pre-ordering games.

2 Likes

Absolutely, I really am heartbroken over how mediocre Battlefield has become. From the looks of things it won't really be getting any better, as Battlefront looks very linear and closed down. I always loved the open nature of Battlefield which allowed you to fight in whatever way from whatever angle you like, but it feels like it has been turned into a tunnel shooter. Of course, that doesn't even account for the plague of micro-transactions and DLC.

In FPS games I definitely think that control should never be taken away from me, though I am forgiving in games like The Witcher and GTA. I feel like 3rd person view action/adventure games can typically handle that kind of disruption since you can usually still look around.

Right on. If a game was only worth a single play-through then I really have to question if it was worth my money. Alternate story choices, side missions, hidden secrets, those are the things that really keep a game alive for me.

Those are all really great attributes to look for, and I couldn't agree more about UI and controls! There's just no excuse for an unresponsive UI and crappy controls these days.

Great list, I absolutely loved the Mass Effect series, but yeah it's a real shame how EA got their hands on it. I know there's a new game in the series coming soon, but I've pretty much written it off as being EA garbage already.

Personally I could never get into the Fallout series or The Elder Scrolls games. I'm not sure what the problem is, but without fail I've picked one up, played for a couple hours, got bored and then never played it again. Same story for Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Skyrim. I'll have to try getting into them at some point, they seem to be really high value games for sure.

Pre-ordering is the death of gaming! Absolutely, I'm really tired of games coming to market completely broken.