What do you guys think about Cloud Gaming?

I’m not a huge supporter of relying of cloud services, though if the latency was low enough I would totally pay for it. I use a thinkpad for programming and the ability to play some games now and then would be awesome.

1 Like

I tried the Nvidia streaming back when it was free. I have to say that I was quite impressed with the experience. Both in terms of latency and image quality. Back then it could easily rival that of consoles (this was back in the Xbox 360 and PS3 era).

Based on that experience I can easily see it becoming something big. Kind of like how mobile games are now for a lot of people. And it would make it possible to play even a lot of AAA games assuming they are not “twitchy” (eg games such as Assassins Creed and other 3rd person action games should be fine). If you put the tech into the TV or set-top box then it’s something you can sell as a potential value-add as more and more people are disconnecting their cables.

Personally I’m most interested in the potential for making games designed for Cloud gaming. By sharing game state on the server you can potentially make game types that are just not feasible today. (Massive MMO games which rely on simulations for physics or light are some examples.)

2 Likes

I’m really excited actually. Tired of upgrading my vid card every 2 years.

1 Like

Why? Why are you upgrading every other product cycle? There’s no reason to do so unless you need to have the highest settings in the newest titles at more than 1080p or super high 144hz+ refresh rates. I’ve been running my current card (fairly low end when it was new at that) for over 3 years now and I’ve had 0 issues whatsoever playing any games I throw at it. Granted I have an AMD card and those things age fantastically especially when compared to Nvidia (specifically the 700 series). But that’s off topic…

Seems alright for people who are unsure of entering pc gaming. The main issue I see has already been mentioned. That issue being internet. The latency, caps, etc. could make playing certain games quite prohibitive, particularly fast paced competitive games such as anything fps or rocket league.

2 Likes

I ran my GTX 660 from around release (August 2012 or so) until December 2015 and it was still a trooper. Buddy ran his 660 until he got my 980ti as a hand-me-down last year. The 660 was still trucking along. Was it maxing anything new? Obviously not, but it was still able to play modern titles ok if you were willing to sacrifice eye-candy. :slight_smile:

2 Likes