What do yall prefer amd or nvidia

I prefer amd, usually cheaper, performs well enough, and works out of the box with Linux for gaming (which is important to me). Simple really.

2 Likes

That’s my primary reason for wanting to switch to AMD when I’m due for an upgrade. I just wish AMD would release a card that’s worth upgrading from a GTX 970 for around the $350 range (what I paid for my 970 a few years ago).

LOL, I’m the only idiot that bought a RX 470 to replace my 970 wasn’t I?

1 Like

The one that works and isn’t a pile of shit in linux.

Its been amd because amd works. If nvidia actually ups their game I’ll care about nvidia. But all I see is a windows only card that runs like shit on anything noh windows.

And yes I understand that in game its amazing blah blah blah. By runs like shit, I mean an easy to install driver from their site, something that doesn’t randomly black screen on kernel updates, asd that doesn’t need nomodeset to work.

2 Likes

Was looking on NewEgg last night and saw an ASRock Vega 56 for 379.00 after 20.00 rebate. The 56 does a good job, if you know how to tweak it.

This more than anything is what got to me trying to get my 970 running on Linux. EVERY kernel update I’d have to fiddle with it.

1 Like

I want nouveau to get worked on. Nvidia isn’t working on shit, so we might as well do it and kick them out.

2 Likes

I’d love that too. Even though I jumped ship to AMD cards, if there was a sudden breakthrough with the nouveau driver that made them run great, I might go back to an Nvidia card.

2 Likes

Depending on what you’re doing, an RX480 or up is faster than a GTX970 (and this situation will only improve - on DX12/Vulkan it is often MUCH faster than 970). A vega 56 most definitely is.

Polaris 30 will probably hit your requirement quite handily.

Good luck with no documentation… which is what nouveau are dealing with.

1 Like

I’m just a normal Windows noob, I hardly know anything about linux other then people complain about Nvidia.

Nvidia is just a much smoother and less problematic on Windows then AMD for the most part.

Though the newest AMD card I’ve messed with was a R9 390 that had a dual monitor idle problem for over a year until AMD finally fixed it… It was my buddies rig so I didn’t really play games with it other then to fix it for him.

I have a pair of HD 7990’s, but they are older so AMD don’t support them like they use to.

Again this is Windows. I don’t know too much about Linux as my job revolve mostly around windows as it is.

Whatever I can afford on the used market, but it seems like AMD for me because it’s well-suited for poor people at this point.

In USA maybe, those cards are usually overpriced in my region and when the new one comes the old ones get to a good price and no they don’t disappear very quickly. Usually they stay on the market for at least 6-9 months after the release of the new cards sometimes even more.

Not just the USA. NORMALLY here in australia, the previous generation only lasts in stores a couple of months at best.

no one here keeps much stock, so when the current in-hand inventory runs out, they don’t get any new stock of old cards from the suppliers.

you’re usually better off just spending the same amount on a lower tier new card anyway for the same or better long term performance.

there are exceptions, but generally keeping up with the newer platform is best for higher feature level support moving forward.

Nobody has even asked if the OP gives a single toss about Linux yet, never mind if they even know what a kernel is.

It doesn’t matter. The title of the thread asks the comments directly if we prefer X or Y.

Most of us would say more than the X or Y, so we include a small reason as to the rationale. If OP wanted just a yes or no, then they should’ve just put up a poll.

3 Likes

I feel like this is a troll thread

3 Likes

Solus has handled my 970 well. No issues. No nomodeset. Just run the built-in driver tool after install. Don’t even need to go to Nvidia.

Ubuntu and Mint had to do nomodeset and then all that workaround BS to get it to work. Not worth the hassle. Antergos and Fedora worked out of the box, but then had issues with black screen later.

Solus is love. Solus is life. Solus Solus Solus

jk, but I do appreciate how seamless Solus has been

I’ll check that out. I might just wait to see what AMD puts out next though.

Have you heard of our lord and savior, Solus?

Ya, looking at FPS scores and videos the 580 is definitely better with new games. My thing is I don’t have enough DX12/Vulkan games for it to be worth it. I bought an XFX RX 580 Black Edition and didn’t really see much improvement. I was thinking about keeping it anyways, but it pooped out on me after only a few hours so I returned it and since it wasn’t much better for what I play I just got my money back.

@jhamond987 pm me if you want this unlocked, until then this topic is too vague to give you solid advice

I also suggest looking at this

4 Likes