What do yall prefer amd or nvidia

I am setting up a pc and i am confused between nvidia gtx 1080 ti and amd rx vega 64.

Well, what are you using the computer for?

nvidia is a better performer all around but it really depends on your use case.

1 Like

Yep most important question basically.
What mainly matters is which card offers the best peformance per dollar in a certain use case scenario.
And of course the rest of the system specs.

For gaming also some rendering.
Other specs-
16gb x2 DDR4 2666mhz Ram
2 Tb hdd
128gb ssd
i7 8th Gen
All this recommended by a friend of mine.

Well if gaming performance is your main concern,
Then the 1080Ti basically will give you better gaming performance arround the board.
But it will kinda depending on the said price differences if the 1080Ti would be worth it.
I also believe that the 2080Ti will be released very soon.
So i would highly recommend to wait for that release.

1 Like

Well thats a good news.
Cant wait :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

Thanks!!

The reviews I’ve seen of the 2080 Ti have it anywhere between 15% to 50% faster than the 1080 Ti (averaging around 30% I guess), but the 2080 Ti Founders Edition is $1200 compared to an AIB 1080 Ti for ~$700. So currently a 70% increase in price for a 30% increase in performance.

If you absolutely must have the most performance you can buy then sure, go for a 2080 Ti, but for right now I think the 1080 Ti is the much better value.

2 Likes

I think @MisteryAngel meant that with the release of 2080Ti the prices of 1080Ti would probably drop and be even better deal.

1 Like

That typically isn’t how it works, when the new generation comes out the old one disappears from the market very quickly. This generation is a bit different as Nvidia released a glut of 10-series chips on the market after overproducing for cryptocurrency mining, so they are still available today and priced to sell. But that price drop is already in, and if you want one the time to buy is right now. 1080s and 1080tis probably won’t be available new this time next month.

At the moment AMD because of open source driver. So easy it’s not even a competition.

3 Likes

After

• gameworks
  • AMD open sourcing their driver where Nvidia has not.
  • years (decades) of nvidia dirty business tactics
1 Like

That’s a fairly weak reason to choose AMD.

2 Likes

Really?

I’d say its a strong reason to choose AMD, if you care at all about having Linux get anywhere.

Or you care about being free of binary blobs, possibly containing government sponsored malware running in kernel space.

3 Likes

@jhamond987 Do you care about any of that?

2 Likes

I have a 1080ti in a 2700x machine and a Vega 64 in an 8086k machine using a 27-inch Freesync monitor and and 27-inch Gsync monitor.

On Windows, the differences in routine use are not visible. The Nvidia benchmarks better, reflecting every analysis of these cards I’ve seen. In games that are not dominated by FPS. this has been immaterial.

On Linux, visible routine differences do exist, favoring the Vega 64. Subjectively, operation is smoother all around. When the 1080ti is running on Nouveau, the display times out and goes dark after several minutes and will not come to life with a keypress, instead displaying a “No Signal” message. Ditto if a suspend the machine. I need to power cycle the machine to get the display back. I see this behavior on a variety of distros and kernel versions.

The Vega 64 card I have is not supposed to run its fans below 60C. This happens in Windows with the AMD drivers installed. it won’t happen in Linux without at least a 4.18 series kernel.

If I was focused on gaming alone, I’d rely on the Nvidia. But, I’m not, and I’m primarily a Linux user. If I was going to get rid of one card, it would be the 1080ti.

3 Likes

What monitor you thinking of getting? All else being equal, freesync is cheaper the g-sync.

As others have mentioned, let your requirements dictate the components.

1 Like

In this case, it’s pretty irrelevant but looking at the bigger picture better open source drivers on Linux are a pretty viable reason to go that direction.

My primary desktop has a 970 and without the binary drivers it performs awfully. Maintaining the binary drivers on a rolling release in and of itself can be a pain. That’s why I used to use Manjaro.

But anyway, it isn’t a big deal here as the OP probably just wants what performs best in which case equating GPUs from both sides is what should be done. No reason to get caught up in any of the hardcore people that swing strongly towards either side (though I would say AMD vs Intel in the CPU space is much much more interesting).

1 Like

Since I’ve always been in the mid range I’ve found AMD cards being a better value for money and having more consistant performance over time because they were not relying on clockspeed to make up memory bandwith or GPU power.
Also I’ve had Nvidia GPUs blowing up left and right at home so I stopped buying them.

I agree, and only buy AMD GPUs these days because of their open source support.

Should be noted though, that amdgpu drivers do require binary blobs. There are no video chipsets on x86_64 that don’t require them after Intel Skylake’s iGPU added one.

Intel’s going backwards, and Nvidia never went in the right direction. It still makes amdgpu the best in the freedom front, but there is no “perfect” choice for a libre GPU as of this moment.

1 Like