What Distro Do You Recommend?

And as i said i really do not mind it, It may be a LITTLE annoying but it's unfortunately unavoidable most of the time, If that is what it takes to find a comfortable Distro, So be it ! :D

Trying out Mint with Cinnamon on the lappy, I love it so far, Easy to use, Strait forward, Detailed to the extreme ( still want more >.< ) so i think i will try this one out on the desktop.

Personally I'm a huge fan of arch Linux. It's amazing how lean and how you start from scratch to get exactly what u want. There are version of arch for easy install like evolution so you're not forced to start from scratch.

If you're looking for an easy to use district, I know Ubuntu isn't the most preferred but it's definitely the best on the market and is the most complete. From what I've been reason and watching 14.10 is the best performing, hardware acceleration is a whole lot better and better utilization of hardware and drivers. Though it is unstable, that's why many use 14.04.

Another big player is mint. Personally I'm not fond of it. Visually I don't like it but it is a great build and probably the most popular district within the community. It's also arguably the most stable linux distributions out there.

OpenSUSE is my next venture. I personally like Ubuntu and arch. But there are a huge amount of people starting to really gravitate towards this district because of compatibility. I think it's a very appealing OS from the start. Some people say the combination of the packages really work well together. From a few friends have told me it has the best wine compatibility over other distros right out of the box.

My last suggestion is manjaro. I really like the feel of how things work together. I'm know I'm not that experienced in OS and I can't get too technical but I notice certain nice features that seem more streamlined. The only downside is that this distros is dying in the community so if you want something fresh this may not be the distro for u.

2 Likes

Well, nonsense issues is the domain of Ubuntu.
Everything worked for me on Mint, because of Ubuntu its GPU drivers are a bit outdated, but what can you do...
If you are looking for a more functional desktop, Cinnamon is for you. If you are looking for more customizable desktop, MATE is for you.

1 Like

Exactly. Being able to try a bunch of different things is what has me hooked right now. I mean, I can download a Linux image, boot up, install, and totally update the system in about 20 minutes (using SSDs).

I'd been fiddling with Linux so much lately I decided it was probably a good time to backup my Windows image and reinstall on my smaller capacity SSD... the process of installing, activating, and updating Windows took hours.... yes hours. I'm no noob when it comes to Windows either.

So, yeah... another more recently discovered trait of Linux (at least on the distros I've tried) that just wipes the floor with WIndows to the degree that I've started talking to my boss about implementing Linux in some of our supported offices.

2 Likes

Can you link me to this MATE ?

With regards so far, i was up until 3am with Linux Mint Cinnamon and i am really liking it :D

MATE is available with Linux Mint, you can download the MATE .iso just under the Cinnamon version ;)

1 Like

Ahh alright.

Since i have only one SSD, anc i can't buy another one atm, in the begining, I've put half of space for Windows, half for Linux, but now, i saved only minimal amount for Windows (20GB = pagefile off), so, windows 7 is there in native mode if ever needed, and a lot of space on 2nd drive to install whatever i want (NTFS) ;).

I plan on having two primary OS's when i get my first Tb SSD but i only have a 500Gb SSD right now specifically for windows.

Im running ElementryOS on a Acer C720 Chromebook and it performs beautifully.

The interface is really sleek and clean, if somewhat minimalist, and the platform is based on Ubuntu.

Its probably not as powerful as other flavours, but if you just want something that works and is easy to use i would highly recommend it.

(screenshot of the interface)

1 Like

Looks like it is running the Gnome interface or a type of it.

its actually built from scratch, but it uses gtk3 and does have similarities with gnome.
its pretty much the only draw to elementaryOS, but hey it seems to be working.

probably not, you would use manjaro, the easymode arch. the packman repo is supposed to be amazing, so, yeah

Try starting with ubuntu and install cinnamon

sudo apt-get install cinnamon

i think

Imgur

What mine looks like with cinnamon

EDIT: Might need to add a repository for it, though. Should be simple to find on google

ubuntu has... issues... lots of them

I haven't had a single hiccup this whole time using ubuntu

Give... examples... any of them.

Xubuntu, Mint KDE, Mint MATE, OpenSUSE. If you are more experienced and want something very very stable, try Salix, a Slackware based distro. Later on you could install the standard Slackware distro and start building everything the way you like it best.