What distro are you using?

That just.. Oh lawd... You're giving me ideas that will be bad for my general life productivity.

1 Like

Or you know.....opensuse.

It has all the security of fedora, and a shit ton of packages and repos.

2 Likes

Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 on main rig, normal Ubuntu 16.04 on laptop. I don't know why everyone hates unity, especially with being able to place the launcher on the bottom now.

Arch Linux with GNOME 3.20

for the past 4 months.. Though I'm considering moving to a new IDE.. Haven't decided yet.

1 Like

I prefer Fedora tho since I've used it a lot in the past, and I'm more familiar with SELinux than Apparmor - something I like to tinker with too.

Mostly Debian at home. Slackware, CentOS and SuSE on some VMs. A few AWS instances with Ubuntu. Work desktop has Ubuntu (for compliance). Kali in one laptop. TAILS on a USB drive. RouterOS in my mikrotik router... And some old distros in a couple of desktops that I have running in the basement.

Im on Fedora Workstation.

I like Arch and Gentoo, Gentoo is great, but Fedora has a pretty good balance and very few issues for me.

3 Likes

My netbook now has manjaro-JWM and its working way better than xubuntu ever did :DDD

1 Like

The overhead is minimal and it is much simpler to set up a lot of stuff with Ubuntu Server - especially OpenStack, LXC etc. Most of that stuff works first on Ubuntu and later on other distros. Of course most stuff is also possible with Debian, but I don't care about Debian.

Debian + Awesome

I find Awesome to be much more usable over i3

Antergos on my desktop and laptop. Mix of Debian and Ubuntu on my servers. Rasbian on the Raspberry Pi's of course.

1 Like

Its still probably better to get used to Debian for servers. I know of only a handful of hosting that support Ubuntu. Most smaller ones only support centos and Debian.
Plus Debian means you don't have to worry about un-needed shit chewing up resources.

1 Like

I have been exclusively using opensuse tumbleweed for almost two years.

I have tried fedora, debian, almost if not all the buntus, manjaro, arch, gentoo, and so on.

LMDE is my second favorite, but every now and again it will break on me for what ever reason.

Tumbleweed is the only rolling release that is rock solid dependable with a bunch of great management tools. Arch might have more packages, but its no where near as reliable.

My biggest grieve about ubuntu is that fact, that there are roughly 1000 packets that are actually LTS the rest is either 3, 2, 1 year or even only 9 month support by the community.

If you stick with the debian repos you get the LTS for all packages not just a view.

currently using kubuntu on my laptop i use just for college ive tried to install arch and manjaro but they wouldnt cooperate

1 Like

That's like the opposite of what happened to me. I was forced to install arch cause debian, ubuntu and fedora where being shits.

1 Like

There's the head from my "server," and by server I mean an old laptop with a big hard drive attached. Debian with Gnome 3, nothing special. I'm stuck dual booting Mint and Winblows on my main computer.

1 Like

Antergos as desktop. Arch-based, comes with all I need, Desktop Environment, all the programs and there's always the AUR, just awesome. Got SWTOR and Eve online installs working, works really good with mesa+gallium. In Swtor I'm getting 50-100 fps with all on high.
290X Radeon.
Cinnamon as DE. Love it. Would recommend to anyone who is used to WIndows short commands like Super-key (Win-key) + E etc.

Triple booting my machine. Win 7 and Ubuntu 15.10 as other OSes. But currently use Antergos for everything.

Raspberry with raspbian

VPS with Ubuntu 14.04

On Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 now. I have VM's with most distro's. Tried Antergos a few months back with Gnome 3.20 before 16.04 came out. I might of stayed on it but an update killed my desktop and I could only get to a terminal and was not able to fix it.

Rolling releases will do that.