What Dac/amp comb, 300 €?

So, I was thinking of maybe getting Dac/amp, for around 300€ or less for my speakers and headphones.

So I have heard people talk about Micca Origen+ and SMSL M3 on the internet and that they are good. Only problem there is that neither is in stores that I can find that ship to my country (Norway), I cant even find Micca Origen+ in any stores in EU either. So if I where to get any of those it would be ebay, and I generally dont like to buy stuff on ebay. also, transport from US is like 18 $. I have also heard people say Fiio e10k isnt that good.

Do anyone have any other dac/amps for 300€ or less, or should I just buy it from ebay that I dont like?

Objective2 +ODAC Headphone Amplifier / DAC combo from HeadnHiFi.com seems a good option being based in Europe.

I have the version with Headphone outputs only from Mayflower but I assume the RCA output addon gives you more options.

Oh, I did think they was more expensive that it looks like there.

But I have a question, Why does it seem like there are the same product produced by multiple people different places? Multiple companies that produce Objective 2 and Odac? and does it matter who produces it?

I think its weird that where you plug in the power is on the front of the thing and not the back, is there any reason for it?

The designs of both the O2 and ODAC were released into the public, allowing everyone to produce them. So there’s a lot of people making the same product.

The O2 amp design is open source, so there are a half dozen or so companies that manufacture the design. It really shouldn’t matter who produces it since the license doesn’t allow for derivatives, in theory every manufacturer should be using the same parts.

@pFtpr The ODAC IP and trademark is owned by Yoyodyne Consulting Inc. and require permission to use, it’s not actually “open”.

1 Like

Oh, OK, why is it some places where there are added RCA ports on the back while others isn’t?

I do need output for speakers.

Seems like odac/objective 2 is easier to get than other dacs that isnt to expensive (exept fiio e10k or cheaper options, A1)

Some on the internet seem to say that odac/objective 2 is outdated and good anymore, but most doesnt so I dont know…
How do it compare to Micca Origen+ and SMSL M3, is they actually better?

BTW; with shipping and everything, Schiit stack would become around 440€, so that site bimbleuk linked to, objective 2/odac is cheaper buy quite a bit if shipping isnt too expensive.

The O2, along with other amps mentioned here, is strictly a headphone amplifier. You’ll need a regular big-boy amplifier to power speakers.

Old, not outdated. Both the ODAC and O2 were designed to be transparent, i.e. only do their job (convert/amplify) without introducing distortions. I haven’t listened to either of them but all reviews I’ve seen were positive and I intend to get an ODAC once I can convince myself to throw out my current DAC :smiley:
Once a device is transparent it has hit the ceiling - there is no way for it to get any better. Remember though that sound is highly subjective and ultimately the device needs to suit you. Maybe you prefer distorted sound. Your choice.

There is an option to have RCA outputs on the Objective 2 on this site?
hhttp://www.headnhifi.com/o2-odac-combo

I do use both my headphones and my JBL 305s

… which you can use to connect an amplifier. Adding a connector doesn’t magically increase the power output.

Thats not what I am saying, I am saying RCA to connect the objective 2 (amp) to speakers

Read again.

I know that’s not what you are saying. So I am correcting you.

Just throwing this out there, but I just got the Schiit Fulla 2, and REALLY love it. Schiit makes some REALLY good shit for the price.

What?

Yes there’s RCA ports. They exist for connecting an amplifier. Not speakers.

Connect and amp to and amp? No

@Mihle It is not supplying power through those RCA’s. It only supplies a signal. It is just a line out.

Sadly the Fulla 2 is not available in my country either… But I will look in to it.

Heard a lot of good things about shiit. Do they design for transparency or is their sound colored?

I think they are transparent as they are solid state amps. They do have tube amp models though.

They are designed by REAL audio engineers who not only know their shit (pun intended), but have been doing it since before most people on this forum were probably even born. Schiit is their passion and hobby. They set out to make products that perform, and don’t charge stupid prices for it. It is a legit garage startup that kept growing because they really are that incredible. Oh, and they are made in the USA.

One of the guys actually wrote a book…through forum posts…that is a REALLY interesting read if you not only enjoy the audio world, but also business and startups in general: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/

They also published that long forum post on Amazon, which I bought just to support them more. Can you tell yet how big of a fan I am of them? Schiit Happened: The Story of the World’s Most Improbable Start-Up

To answer your question though, speaking about ‘transparency’ or ‘colored’ sound, the answer is yes. Yes, they sell tube amps which do what tube amps (Class A amps) do. They also sell solid state amps of both the class AB, D, and they even sell a freaking straight up class A amp! NO JOKE. The Asgard is straight up a Class A solid state amp…the mind boggles. DACS, DAC/amps both powered by wall and USB, monoblock amps, and just straight up amps.

I should probably stop fanboying their products now, but as a long time audio fan seeing the increasing trend in the industry of crappy over priced shit made in China with STUPID gimmics and LEDS all over the place, Schiit just came to me as a breath of fresh air with a simple product that over delivers for a reasonable price that is made in the USA. No gimmics. No stupid LED’s all over the place. Just a brick of metal that performs beautifully and has that quality feel of 60’s-70’s vintage audio gear.

1 Like