Hi guys!

First of all, my hardware:

MOBO: Asrock 990FX Extreme 3

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB

CPU: AMD Phenom II 1090T BE

GPU: XFX 6870

PSU: Corsair TX650

Case: NZXT Beta Evo

So, I'm looking for an upgrade from stock CPU cooler (finally), but I have/had a problem with height of RAM heat spreaders. Some time ago I bought a Corsair A50 cooler and was surprised that you can only fit it facing "up-down" (random pic to describe it) on AMD systems. Of course when I was looking to buy it, all the pictures and videos I was watching showed it on Intel systems and I didn't notice. Thankfully I was able to sell it and didn't loose any money, but the problem with cooler still stands..

Now I'm looking at Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, but according to pictures I found, it also mounts the same way A50 does on AMD mobos. Or am I wrong and this one can be turned either way, because of the different mounting adapter (the 4 legged one)?

If it can be fitted in the way I would like it to be, would the two fans I have on top of the case get in the way with the top part of the cooler (I think they're Scythe Kama FLEX 120mm 1500rpm)?

Sorry if these questions are silly but I don't know any way to check this things out without buying it..

I do want to try overclocking my CPU, so you guys can give me advice if you think there's a better cooler for me (for the money, and without possible problems i described above ofc). FYI, I can buy 212EVO for 45$ and the cheapest water cooling I can get is Coolermaster Seidon for 70$, so water is out of the question..

Cheers!

212 evo can be mounted either orientation. However if your plan is to have a nice overclock or something, go with a better cooler - something like Xigmatek Dark Knight or Noctua NH-U12S. Both will perform better and quieter than 212, and about the price of the Seidon, but again, quieter and better. The Seiodon 120V assuming this is the one, have shitty and noisy pump with 30DBa fan, while the noctua... Well, it's Noctua...

I had a Noctua NH-D14 on my 1090t, Also My wife's PC has the Asrock 990FX Extreme 3 with an FX 8150 that also has a Noctua NH-D14. The RAM used is G.Skill and maybe not quite so high. What I found was that the fins cleared the RAM easily but the front 120mm fan had to sit a little high. with my Wife's D14 I have removed the 120mm fan altogether so it's just using the 140mm fan on the cooler. I wanted the 120mm fan for my PC so, yea I stole it ;)

I found this image of my wife's computer when I was working on it some time back http://i.imgur.com/cNETKsK.jpg looks like you may have to do some research to see if your RAM will fit under the fin tower if you want to go for the D14.

you mean you borrowed it ... right?   lol

Thanks for your responses!

Well, Noctua NH-U12S is over 80$, that's a bit too much for me..

I do like Xigmatek, seems like it's much better than 212, and it's even the same price, but I do think it has the same problem as A50 (link). I think it can be turned around, but that guy says "That would then throw off the thermal properties of the heat pipes. In that orientation, the top pipes would be saturated, while the bottom pipes left unused." On the other hand, there's THIS, so I don't know what to think.. :)

PendragonUK, that thing is huge! :)

the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM ...... is only $25

It is fine as long as you are not doing heavy OC ing.

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2

It may be only $25 for you, but not for me:)  Non of the stores you provided are available to me. The cheapest I can get it is $45.

Also check on the Hyper 212 Plus

Nowhere to be found in my country, not even used.. :)

I think I'll do some research on how much my CPU can be OC'ed with what cooling and then try to figure out how much can I get from 212evo.. I'll keep an eye on this post, maybe someone gives a better solution, like psycho_666 did with Xigmatek (too bad it seems like I cannot use it for the reasons described).

Thanks guys for your help!

I am talking about Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk edition, which as far as I know can be mounted vertically. And vertical mount allows RAM clearance for high heatsinks. Now all you need is rear exhaust fan and even top vents with no fan will help. Top exhaust will be great, assuming you have enough intakes. If youhave lets say 3 intakes and 2 eexhausts you can undervolt them and have silent cooling.

Yeah, I understand, but it seems like it's not that easy to mount it vertically on amd (link). As far as I understand, I would need a special mount, or something custom made. I previously provided the link to the custom thingy, but it seems like it's down now.. The point is, why would anyone make a custom mount for vertical placement if it's possible to do, out of the box..

I have a rear exhaust, two top exhaust fans and one front intake fan, all running at 1500rpm, so I think that's pretty good and silent..

If I could somehow confirm the easy vertical mount, this is the ONE! :)