Return to Level1Techs.com

What Could a Entry Level Industrial Engineering Major Do To Get Experience?

Hi guys one of my friends is just started college doing industrial engineering. What types of jobs could he do if he cant get an internship the first summer for experience? Would working on a factory floor help or some sort of IT job?

@eidolonFIRE

Yeah factory floor is a good place to start, not only to get familiar with machines but also to get familiar with different steps and processes and, what’s overlooked by many major engineers, the environment itself, like how and what kind of people use those machines.
So basically to get basic experience and just to broaden ones perspective.
Now I’m not an engineer (by european standards), I was an electrician in the past life, but now I work in a factory processing concrete elements and love it, too many a times for example those electrical engineers made plans and blueprints that just doesn’t work irl, leaving the electricians building everything basically by freehand, re-drawing the blueprints afterwards and sending em back to the engineer.
Same goes for industrial machines, they might very well get modded afterwards because the engineers who ‘made’ it didn’t take some little thing into consideration.
Nothing worse than being an engineer (again, not as ‘engineer’ in US, but engineer by EU standards) who’s only sat behind a desk his/her whole life.
There’s an old saying/joke where I’m from, that engineers only think, equals they only think that they know their stuff lol

Another option is to intern in a related field. You could work as a land suveyor apprentice for a firm that does business in industrial plants. You will have to be safety trained to regional standards (like OSHA in the US) which will teach you something about covered processes and the basics. You also get the run of the mill so to speak because survey control is EVERYWHERE! Survey work typically is more civil engineeering but very relatable in the areas of wastewater and solid waste for sure. I personally have done a lot of work in industrial landfills, wastewater, bleach plants, and powerplants - sometimes all in the same mill; the really large scale industrial sites are cities within cities.

Most firms will be using Autodesk Civil3d and any medium to large firm will have the entire Autodesk design suite you can play with so that is worth it as well.

Learn how to use power tools kek

No but in all seriousness I would say look for an apprenticeship in a metal shop, either making molds or fabbing stuff. Shouldn’t be too hard to manage, but thats where I would start (and have in the past).