What components can I improve for New gaming PC

Hey guys,

After 5+ years with my i5-2500k setup, (MOBO won't even run Windows 8+), I have decided to do a major upgrade on my system. I mainly use it for gaming and programming. Currently I am looking at the following parts, so any suggestions or improvements will be welcome. I am not going for "top of the line, most expensive thing out there", just something that provides some good bang for the buck.

I am also in Thailand, so not everything is available and sometimes there are taxes buying through ebay and other retailers outside of Thailand. Options would be good.

This is what I am currently looking at:

• Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz) (BX80662I76700K)
  • Gigabyte GA-H170-Gaming 3 LGA1151 / H170 / 4 x DDR4 / 6 x SATA 6Gbs / 2 x M.2 / ATX
  • ADATA XPG Z1 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 Non-ECC DIMM 1.2V (4x8GB)
  • Corsair RM Series RM650 650W 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular Power Supply (CP-9020054-NA)

Things like hard drives, cases etc are less important as I have a bunch of that stuff including SSD's. Currently I am using a GTX770, but will be looking to upgrade that to a Pascal or something like that closer to end of year.

I want to see how the whole vulkan/directx12 thing washes out. Might be able to mix cards.. who knows yet.

Any suggestions or changes would we welcome.

Thanks
Tal

I would suggest upgrading to Polaris/Pascal (in that order). GPU is by far the most important piece of a gaming rig and will give you the most bang for your buck. CPU is second most (though at his point you'd have to upgrade your CPU, motherboard, and RAM simultaneously).

As I said, I WILL be upgrading the GPU near the end of the year. Currently looking for a good base to build upon.

Also, I am in no major rush to, so can wait a few months if anything major is on the horizon.

What budget/country? the 6700K won't be worth it over the 6700, and if you do more than gaming you're going to want a 5820K

also if you plan on getting an i7-6700k i would suggest a Z170. Just for better overclock if you plan to do that. Plus a better build and quality if you can squeeze out the extra $20. otherwise no need for the k version.

Thanks I will look at the z170. Not really planning to overclock tbh. Last time I overclocked was on my 486sx-25MHz to 33Mhz. You did that by changing the crystals on the motherboard with a soldering iron.

I take it you are referring to the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 LGA1151 / Z170 / 4 x DDR4 / 6 x SATA 6Gbs / 2 x M.2 / USB 3.1 / ATX

that's about $40 more. I am just looking at a site in Thailand atm.. I am sure i can knock a few dollars off the price by shopping around.

well if you dont plan to over clock there is no need for either the K version or the Z170

1 Like

Should look for these, any H110 or B150 MSI VD or Gaming board should have solid power delivery and USB 3.1 support

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6hswwP
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6hswwP/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI B150M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($54.99 @ Micro Center)

True, it is about $30-$40 on the chip as well.. so could save some money there.

Thing is, it is always hot here, current temp is 36C, so if I was gonna overclock I would need to invest in a lot of cooling.

But this I why I ask you guys... for some reason my mind was fixed on the 6700K.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

36c wow. lucky bastard. tho I bet its wet heat. if you arent looking to overclock there is really no need to look at really pricey MoBo, like @Streetguru just posted you want something that has a good power delivery since the number of power phases isnt so important if you arent overclocking which should save you about $100ish with both the cheaper board and chip

Oh and make sure you recheck and then check again with the ram to see if it will work with the mobo. usally the manufacturers website will have a list.

You'd especially want the 6700 then, it's only a 65W TDP vs 91W on the K, not too big a difference though

36C and VERY Humid.. according to weather.com it feels like 46C... and it is 10am in the morning.. lol.

But it is a problem when the temp never drops below 25C in the middle of the Thai winter (lasts about a week lol). Considering that I never turn my PC off.

Was looking at what @Streetguru suggested. Would have to see if I can source them here.. problem with price checker is none of the retailers deliver to Thailand for most of the stuff because of the import duties.

Just trying to build something that will hopefully last for another 5 years without too much of an issue. My current system is running perfectly, just issue with the motherboard running windows 8,10. Kinda need that for the Directx12 on windows 10. Also, want to make use of the extra memory and bus speeds for the new GPU's.

yeah its a shame how hardware still works but the software is just crap for the new stuff. Its almost like they want you to buy new stuff XD