What chairs are you guys using at the desk?

My only advise is to make sure you buy a chair that is designed for being sat in for hours on end, people don’t realize that not all chairs are created equal.

Also this is very important, I have recently been having a sore butt in my Herman Miller Aeron over the Christmas and New Year Holiday. I don’t blame the chair. I actually blame my poor seating habits and horrible posture in the chair.

A good chair does not stop issues caused by poor posture habits.

5 Likes

I am using an Ikea Markus and its a good chair for the price.

Hi guys

Some interesting choices here.

I am sitting at home in a 10 year old Herman Miller Embody - love it, well, I had a back injury 10 years ago and was working as a photoshop retoucher. This chair was a blessing I could sit comfortable all day 10+ hours and work.

My wife recently, bought a HAG, one of those saddle chairs. This one is set up for drafting height, so elevated desk so you can either sit or stand.

I am jealous it’s really comfortable.

I worked in OHS or Work Health and Safety, ergonomics was one area that I had to attend to.
The question I have for you all is, what is it you value in a chair, how long do you sit in this chair every day??

I am not saying you need to buy a $1000+ chair far from. But from an ergonomic stand point, one of the best chairs are the Gregory chair - yes it’s your average office chair!

Happy sitting, but remember to get up every now and then…. You will last longer that way

Henrik

1 Like

Devil’s advocate… what about a standing desk, awhile back I put two Ikea side tables and a book self to make a raised stand for my monitor and keyboard.

Giving all the talk of chairs even with a steel case leap, I can’t say lower back pain was not part of my life.

1 Like

I’m done with cheap office chairs. I ordered myself the Herman Miller Aeron and waiting for it to arrive. I’ve used one before at the office, I loved it, everyone else hated them. However, if this model of chair can survive abuse from 100 people in a room used 24/7, then it can deal with me sitting on it every day for the next 10 years.

2 Likes

I splurged and bought a fully specced herman miller aeron last year in zoom grad school. It was worth every penny since I sat in it every day for my classes, internship work, and my current job.

I posted about it intially here
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/post-what-new-thing-you-acquired-recently/149881
/4507?u=bedhedd

Here’s my setup.

When I research, I usually check youtube reviews so these were some videos that helped my finalize my decision.

Looks like David Zhang made a chair tier list

1 Like

I was using the Ikea Markus but found it hard to keep my bum all the way back in the seat pan, so I ended up with lower back pain because I wasn’t seating right.

I went ahead and ordered a Remastered Aeron after some research and hype. It took me about a month to get used to the it and I can say I’m pretty happy with my purchase. It sucks to have back pain.

1 Like

Huh. Never actually saw that part for some reason. If so, think I’ll need to visit their store some time soon. Thank you!

1 Like

That is definitely on the list for me too. A sit stand desk. Similarly regardless of the chair will want to stand after a while. I will be getting both eventually

At my old office I did use a Swopper with a standing desk. It took some getting used to, but that was a nice combination as well :thinking:
If I had a bit more space for my desk at home, I would like to get one of those. But for work that would be a nice option again!

I tended to sit for something of a 8-10 hours a day (with breaks). After getting a severely bad covid vaccination I limit myself to 4-5 hours… aaand really pay attention to having the breaks a lot more often and longer.

1 Like

Link to HAG chairs made in Norway

I wasn’t a fan initially but it has grown on me. One of the issues I see from sitting in a conventional chair, is that you cut off circulation in your hip area (this might be more relevant for those of us who have been around the block a bit longer :wink:) but with the HAG you can sit with your legs stretched out, more elevated, or sit in reverse position and lean your not the back of the chair with your chest.

Anyway just something different

3 Likes

Intresting! I may take a look!, since im just about to turn 20 in a few months and so far ive already had back problems, so ive been hoping to look around to see what could help with it, and something like that looks pretty cool aesthetic wise and looks fairly comfy

2 Likes

Definitely check video reviews. I heard about it from David Zhang’s coverage

He gives an update on it timestamped below

1 Like

I’m a bit of an usual case. I am using a Himolla Tanat chair which while its very comfortable it’s not actually an office chair and probably wont work with most desks.

I am considering a Secret Labs chair to replace it. The Himolla maybe 10 years old now but its still in reasonably good condition I just feel like I want a ‘proper’ office chair. I haven’t seen a HM chair I like, they all look cold and lack padding. Failing that I will look for a chair at a commercial office furniture place.

At work I have had a HM Aeron for 10 years or so.
It’s ok, but I also get up and walk around pretty often.
It’s cool enough, but I find the edges of the seat dig into my thighs a bit. I’m not a big guy.
At home I have a Nightingale CXO 6200 ( closest match ) since around 2008.
Great chair, worth every penny. Still a great chair for a days work. The past 2 years have given it a workout. Much better all day seating than the Aeron IMHO. https://nightingalechairs.com/seating/cxo

You had the wrong size! there is an A size a B size and a C. The C is for BIG people, the B for most people and the A for tiny people.

Curious what a tiny people’s size would be for, I’m 5’6 and around 80kg, so would i be looking at the A or B size?

Ah, thanks!! so it seems ill be looking for a Size A if I go for an HM chair, which i most likely will next month or so.