What can I do with this old netbook do you think?

If you want to make something useful out of it i think Puppy Linux is a good base distro to start from. Void Linux is also a great alternative. You could make a typewriter machine out of it, no bloat or distractions, just typing away stuff.

1 Like

find a light fast o.s that will do what you want it to.

linux has some small ones like slax. while windows well, there are lean installs.

then its just a case of keeping the bloat down by disabling stuff that wants to run at boot time.
keeping your registry clean. and house keep your storage.
basically try not to load everything at once with it, and it should work fine.

1 Like

Wow, what a lot of choice! Thank you very much, I might give MATE a go :+1:

1 Like

That’s a brilliant out the box idea, would have been great when my TrueNAS install was away from home…well it still is, but not for much longer. Really appreciate that, especially considering the weak CPU :+1:

1 Like

Wow, thank you so much for a hugely detailed response, so kind of you! :clap:

I did think about XP briefly, but I thought it might be a security threat on the network that it’s connected to, though that’s an inexperienced opinion. Thank you again! :+1:

Ah, I’d forgotten about Mint, thank you for the reminder, I’ll see if it’ll play nice! :+1:

I’ll definitely do that, it’s the least I can do :+1: There may be a delay though, pressure is mounting to build my new office…lease on the old one is closing! :scream:

1 Like

Oooh, I like that you mentioned FreeNAS, though I briefly read people had issues with externally connected drives? No harm trying :slight_smile: Thank you fella :+1:

1 Like

Oooh, that’s a good idea, that wouldn’t take much resources at all, thank you! :+1:

It does indeed, surprisingly! Though I wouldn’t want to try buying a replacement, not after this amount of time has passed! :slight_smile: @risk Has a good point about it being a bit like a UPS, good call :+1: The keyboard is surprisingly usable, the screen is adequate :slight_smile:

That’s a very good point, and I still have a copy of it somewhere, or at least took an image of the drive before I attempted Win10. I was just concerned about security issues, perhaps I’m being a little over the top though!

Oooh, good thinking batman, that sounds kinda nice, provided I can back it up somehow. It would be great to have a simple OS that I could just type on every now and again. Thanks! :+1:

1 Like

Thank you @anon7678104 :+1:

1 Like

Well there are many ways to do that. You could have a removable drive that’s auto mounted and synced with the notes you’re taking. Or you could use rclone/rsync to sync over wifi. Another option is using git with lazygit.

When it comes to Linux, if there’s a will there’s a way haha

1 Like

Ahhh, well TrueNAS has rsync so I could certainly use that, nice one fella :+1:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.