What are your opinions of the Simulation Argument?

I think that tapping into the fabric of space and time in order to gain understanding of reality is still a developing matter in science. The fields of string theory and super-string theory offer a means to address your point of hacking into the proposed simulation. Prof. Jim Gates said that during his studies in super-string theory, the equations used in describing strings revealed a specific error-correcting computer code developed in the 1940s! http://disinfo.com/2013/05/physicist-discovers-computer-code-embedded-within-the-equations-of-string-theory/ This is where I originally learnt about the Simulation Argument. I think our understanding of science, particularly in the new fields like quantum and string theory need to be developed more in order for humanity to appreciate the true nature of what is real.

I would prefer to live a life seeking truth rather than living a life of delusion. Fairytales are nicer than reality, but that's why their fairytales.

I totally agree with you. There is far more evidence that the universe is real compared to the universe as a simulation. The Simulation Argument is more of a philosophical question than an actual scientific proposition since it can't really be tested.

And simulation is a fairytale.

Most probably, but the argument does raise interesting philosophical questions.

Who created simulation? Humans that right end of story.

I am a pretty factual based person, so I will never truly believe in the simulation theory. But I love thinking about it, I always have. But just recently did I actually start to research it. I saw something about the code we user in our search engines (Google, yahoo etc...) is found in our brains. Would it be very hard to simulate a universe as vast as our own? HELL YES. But look at all of the technological advances we as humans have made in the past 50 years... I dont think this theory should be shot down like some people do, because even if we are in some simulation or matrix, we could be the ones to control our own. I don't know how we would benefit from that. With the little code that I know, with Java you can make anything random OR you can make precise moments. I don't think it would be that hard for an advanced civilization to come up with a couple pieces of code that start to ask questions, because that's all you would need to start.

One of my favorite short stories has to do with this question.

I'll leave it here, and let you read it if you like (as to not derail the thread)

LINK : http://qntm.org/responsibility

Where is God in here?

I doubt it since we can’t even improve gaming. Just look at 2016’s aweful games like No Man’s Sky and Mass Effect. We can animate every AAA title game with exact voice/face animation but we still rely on like 90s era face animation. We can’t even translate Chinese and Japanese accurately on Google Translate or have better TTS robot voices.

3D Printing still a single stacking 2D extruder cnc machine. AI still getting polished and modifed. We can’t even make autonomous robots to detect of the assembly line is down or the line increase or decreased. Some workers still manually turning it down up or off. Just look at VR we can’t even do 4K @ 120hz…FPS games still haven’t even have collision detection and volume/voxel technology.

He/She/It is usually described as a pimple faced alien kid playing Sims, errrr, running the simulation. Pray they don’t grow up and lose interest, and that they save game frequently and have good backups.

There was a recent Doctor Who episode pair “Extremis” and “The Pyramid at the End of the World” that play on the simulation concept giving it a more practical purpose.

2013 necro

Also doubt it is a simulation considering the exponential increase in computing power required just for electron orbits.

Also life/universe really isn’t interesting enough to simulate to bother.

1 Like

Necro is 2 years. Thread is locked.