What are you reading right now?

In that case I must warn you, Syme and Scullard should both be read after you have a general understanding of the main characters of the Republic. They are both pretty scholarly reads, but they are the urr text for a lot of other books.

1 Like

The Plot Against America ---- Philip Roth

Beyond Good and Evil is a good one. Have you read any of Nietzsche's other works?

The Protestant Ethic and the "Spirit" of Capitalism and Other Writings. ----- Max Weber

I'm starting with "Modern Processor Design: Fundamentals Of Superscalar Processors" - John Paul Shen, Mikko H. Lipasti.

I'm becoming more interested in that subject so i grabbed this one from my university library.

I am reading "The Nine Emotional Lives of Cats" by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson and "A Mind For Numbers" by Barbara Oakley.

1 Like

Book 3.5 (Side story) in Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne

1 Like

Rereading Dune

1 Like

Here's what I'm currently reading. Paperback of course

It's a very interesting and well written book to life in the past and technological innovation through the ages seen from the perspective of the home, It will give you a real appreciation to our present situation.

I really recommend that everyone read this book, it's that good and the diverse details and intricacies it details will leave everyone with an interest to learn more.

Bill Bryson has to be one of my most beloved authors. His book, " Short history of nearly everything " is also well recommened.

The Martian, for the third time.

Way better than the movie

1 Like

I'm reading the Book Thief. I'm not very far into it, but it's written interestingly enough so far.

Eon duology by Alison Goodman.

What does the book accomplish that the movie fails to adapt to?

Well... the book is much more humorous, the tension builds in a much more palatable fashion, imo Damon didn't do the character justice, etc

The movie wasn't bad, but it wasn't amazing either.

The book is

1 Like

There's not as many moments when you have to suspend your disbelief.
Example: sand storm. Even author admitted that it's kinda bullshit, which wouldn't happen on Mars (too low atmospheric pressure and density). It happens once, just to get story started. In the movie, however, they turn it to eleven, with repeating sandstorms, fluttering Watney's patchwork (wouldn't happen) and almost rocking the freaking habitat itself.
Another example: "Iron Man" moment. Movie makers just couldn't resist, could they?
When the book is intense, it's intense for valid reasons, and it seems natural. While movie isn't bad, really, its intense moments are way more artificial (hey, we need an astronaut to spacewalk between two airlocks - let's not stop the rotating ring section, shall we?).

2 Likes

Didn't the author helped contribute or supervised the movie? I know he would not be able to direct the movie but at least show his concerns on how to interpret the adaptation of his book?

I think he helped with adaptation and was on the set at least once. But, c'mon, in Hollywood, producer's choices and entertainment value (and big money) beat artistic integrity and accuracy every time.

1 Like

was going through Robert Greene's The 50th Law. Though i've left it midway because i've been a bit busy lately. going to resume it from monday hopefully.

Good read so far.

Always fascinating to know that a major historical event (WW2) can have so many stories to them.