What are you reading right now?

A Murder in Virginia --- Suzanne Lebsock

The World the Slaveholders Made: Two Essays In Interpretation ---- Eugene D. Genovese

Slavery, Capitalism, and Politics In The Antebellum Republic ----- John Ashworth

More Than Freedom: Fighting for Black Citizenship in a White Republic 1829-1889 ---- Stephen Kantrowitz

The Wages of Whiteness: Race and the Making of the American Working Class --- David r. Roediger

Soul By Soul: Live Inside The Antebellum Slave Market ---- Walter Johnson

Roll Jordan Roll: The World The Slaves Made ---- Eugene D. Genovese

The Slaveholding Republic ---- Don E. Fehrenbacher

The Two Faces of American Freedom ----- Aziz Rana

1 Like

Star Wars Ahsoka ---- E.K. Johnston

design patterns. elements of reusable object oriented software

Currently reading Congo, by Michael Crichton.

Hi, new here. I'm currently reading Silverthorn by Raymond E. Feist

The Republic of Thieves - Scott Lynch

Have been enjoying the Gentlemen Bastards series immensely, heaps of fun to read!

The Complete Collection of Sherlock Holmes - Arthur Conan Doyle

Well i'm rereading it, for the fifth time.

I did them on audio book, they were amazing.

The Half Has Never Been Told : Slavery and the Making of American Capitalism ---- Edward E. Baptist.

I'm reading neuromancer right now, quite disappointed with it. The book isn't horrible, however the amount of buzzwords makes some sentences completely meaningless. It's begins as a slight annoyance, however the more i read the more often it happens. Hopefully it gets better.

I'm currently reading the Hyperion Cantos from Dan Simmons, second book The Fall of Hyperion

1 Like

Besides all the literature in my line of work I right now reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

Just finished On A Pale Horse, and started Chronicles of Amber again, this time in English.

(I'm told the translation to my language is god-awful)

I just started re-reading The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger on my flights to and from Prague. With the film coming out next year I needed to remind myself of the smaller details.

I hadn't quite forgotten how amazing these books are, but the freshness of returning to Mid-World was incredible, and I love the language once again. I will quite happily greet people IRL with Long Days and Pleasant Nights until someone responds correctly.

I have a few on the go, but here are those I'm finding really interesting:

• Nineteen Eighty-Four. Nothing much really needs to be said, other than I've been meaning to actually read this for so long that I'm annoyed I hadn't gotten to it sooner. It really holds up in the 21st century.
  • Elements of Argumentation. This one is research-related but I think it's interesting to understand how we gather sources of information and internalise arguments in order to make a decision about something. Interesting to those of a logic/AI background.
  • Homo Deus. Written as a sort of sequel to his previous book "Sapiens" in which he covered the brief history of the human race. This book is stated as being "a brief history of the future", covering how technology might change our race.
2 Likes

Mass Effect: Ascension

reading Requiem for the Conqueror: Forbidden Borders #1 by W. Micheal Gear

I had never heard of it, saw it for 50 cents at a thrift store. Plus the cover is pretty bad ass, its got that fake metal foil shine on it and is clearly Dune inspired (though the book doesn't seem to draw much from dune so far, only 87 pages in, got 535 left). On the back two of the characters look like they could be in star wars legends art, with one of them having Stormtrooper armor on lol

But it is good so far, and doesn't seem to be ripping anything off whole sale, excited to learn more of the lore of this universe. Would recommend so far.

Wow, just fiction, or do all the things count?

Currently working my way through as much of The Demon Cycle series by Peter V. Brett. I keep translating all the things into the FATE rpg system in my head, but I do that with pretty much everything at the moment. Which makes it kinda pathetic that I don't really RP at all these days.

@Seeker The Hyperion Cantos is next on my list. :)

2 Likes

Oh man, I remember a friend mentioning and describing Brett's writing and it sounded awesome, but I forgot to add it to my list... until now. So thanks.

I'm currently on the third book of Amber (Sign of The Unicorn).

I am reading WOOL by Hugh Howey.

1 Like