What are you reading right now?

I got to experience The 39 Steps in visual and audio format off of Steam. It was a very enjoyable experience. I never thought I could like a story done like that not in the traditional written form. Now there were things to read at times through this like newspapers so it wasn't all visual and audio. After finishing this I had it in mind to read the new Warcraft book but haven't purchased it yet. So I guess of right now at this very moment I am reading nothing but emails, Tek Syndicate message board material, and similar. :S

Japanese Popular Culture and Globalization By, William M. Tsutsui

Company Town by Madeline Ashby

Fahrenheit 451

Revisiting The Well World Series by Jack L. Chalker

https://www.goodreads.com/series/49331-well-world

Decameron

1984 By, George Orwell

Not a book, but a packet my boss gave me on SAN basics.

The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli

The Bazaar of Bad Dreams - Stephen King

The Vicomte of Bragelonne: Ten Years Later - Alexandre Dumas

Posts by others on Tek Syndicate.

Currently reading 2 books.

Fiction : His Robot Wife by Wesley Alison.
Won't get any literature prizes, but I'm finding it an enjoyable read. Part 2 of a trilogy (although there is a spinoff book and I hear that Allison is working on a part 4)

Non-fiction : currently re-reading No Place to Hide by Glenn Greenwald.
If you're a member here and plan to read just one book in your whole life, look no further. This is the one.

THe Big Short by Micheal Lewis.

2 Likes

Where the Wizards Stay Up Late

Dawn of the Jedi, Into the Void
By Tim Lebbon

I recently read Ready Player One and Armada, both by Ernest Cline. If you're into video games, you'll probably love them

I'm reading (again) 'The Soul of a New Machine' by Tracy Kidder. It's the true story of a skunkworks project in Data General in the early 1980s which built a mini-computer (the Eclipse MV/8000) to compete with VAX.

I love this book. Even though the technical details are really interesting, it's the human details/psychology that really stands out.

It has passages like this :

"If you set a programming schedule, don't you figure that it can slip a little ? True, said Alsing, but not to the point. 'If you say you are going to do it in a year and you don't take it seriously, then it'll take 3 years. The game of crazy scheduling is in the category of games that you play on yourself, in order to get yourself to move'. It was a game in which new hands were always being dealt, a little like poker perhaps. West and his staff had created a deadline of April and, in the act, had agreed at least to pretend to take it seriously. Many months later, Carl Carman would say that no one upstairs believed they would finish Eagle that soon. Some evenings downstairs, West seemed to say the same thing. 'We're gonna finish this sucker by April, Alsing' he'd say. 'Yeah, Tom. Sure we are,' Alsing would reply. They'd smile at each other. [...] But on the evening after West heard the news about North Carolina [they would miss their dealine by a big margin], nightfall brought no relief. The game of whats-the-earliest-date-by-which-you-can't-prove-you-won't-be-finished scheduling had been switched on West. Or he had switched it on himself; there was no essential difference.

It won a Pulitzer Prize for General Non-Fiction.

On the back of the book, Robert Pirsig is quoted : "All the incredible complexity and chaos and exploitation and loneliness and strange, half-mad beauty of this field"

The main character of the book, the project manager Tom West, died in 2011. Here is the obituary from The Register:

Just finished it... interesting... I'll just copy the goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15839976-red-rising

It was worth the read... I'm not sure if I will read the second one now or look for something a little heavier and darker to read next.