What Are You Reading? / Book Lounge

I would say yes but it is a tough book to read because it is dense as lead. I don’t think it’s a book you casually read through but rather take turns reading it and unfold it while doing so.

2 Likes

Wonder if this will actually be good

Just finished Homeland by R.A. Salvatore, and loved it. I’m not sure if I’ll keep going through the series but it was much better than I expected. Highly recommend.

1 Like

Just finished Dune. I’d heard a bunch of good stuff about it, and after seeing the trailer for the movie I buckled down and dug in. My god, is it an amazing read. I read the Red Rising series a while back and it’s clear Pierce Brown drew a ton of inspiration from Frank Herbert here.

4 Likes

How’s it coming? I’ve always wanted to myself aswell, but feel like the consistent use of logical ways of thinking with I.T. has always skewed with trying to storybuild creatively :confused:

Part of the Golden Age of Sci-fi… You should take a look at Analog’s other authors and works.

1 Like

I reread the sequel to this trilogy (The Icewind Dale Trilogy) once a year. I love the first set. Later books are decent to average but the first seven or eight are fucking legit.

1 Like

I was looking into the Icewind Dale series, do you think I could jump right in or should I finish the Drizzt trilogy first? Glad to see someone else on here who enjoys Salvatore!

1 Like

The Icewind Dale trilogy is self contained. There are referneces to the other books but he wrote those after the IWD trilogy.

Reading Exile and Sojourn first or skipping a head and going back to them won’t have any bad effects I don’t think. You might have more affection for a few characters if you read them sequentially.

1 Like
1 Like

Oh man… you’re not helping lol. I’m thinking Exile then, it’s available to borrow on my Kobo but so is IWD. Decisions, decisions.

1 Like

Never been much of a reader but I just finished JoJo’s Bizarre Adventures Part 6, and oh man am I stoked. Starting Part 7 as we speak

1 Like

I’ve decided that I would like to try and read a book every month or so during 2021. Here’s my current list in no particular order. Note these books don’t necessarily reflect my political or personal beliefs I’m am just a curious human being. I would love to hear everyone’s thoughts and suggestions.

1. Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones (James Clear)
  2. Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World (Cal Newport)
  3. Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World (Cal Newport)
  4. Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind (Yuval Noah Harari)
  5. The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure (Greg Lukianoff, Jonathan Haidt)
  6. Permanent Record (Edward Snowden)
  7. 1984 (George Orwell)
  8. The Fair Tax Book: Saying Goodbye to the Income Tax and the IRS (Neal Boortz, John Linder)
  9. The Blue Zones Solution: Eating and Living Like the World’s Healthiest People (Dan Buettner)
  10. Postwar: A History of Europe Since 1945 (Tony Judt)
  11. The War on Normal People: The Truth About America’s Disappearing Jobs and Why Universal Basic Income Is Our Future (Andrew Yang)
  12. The World Atlas of Coffee: From beans to brewing - Coffees Explored, Explained and Enjoyed (James Hoffman)
3 Likes

Two books I really enjoyed and that are pretty topical, even though written long before I was even born. :smiley:
I put links to what I thought were the best non-spoiler reviews.

The Two Faces of Tomorrow by James P. Hogan

The Code of the Lifemaker by James P. Hogan

Books to resume on:
Let The Right One In: John Lindqvist
Wake in Fright: Kenneth Cook

Books to start:
Witcher - Sword of Destiny: Andre Sapkowski
Let The Old Dreams Die: John Lindqvist

1 Like

Mort by Terry Pratchett had me laughing enough to annoy the wife!

Finished it in a weekend, as I didn’t notices how fast I was reading it!

1 Like

One of the suggested readings that came out of the Suez Canal fiasco.

4 Likes

Just started one of those ‘100 books to read in your life’ lists, and started with 1984!

Currently reading The Pragmatic Programmer.

Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan. I’m rereading the Wheel of Time series this year to refresh my memory before the TV show starts this year.

1 Like