What are you Growing (Plants, Garden, Farm)

5 Likes

This is my garden at the moment, planted about 6-8 weeks ago.

Had a few pest problems initially, but I added a big bird bath & the lizard population has boomed, so they have taken care of that issue.

All watered 3 times a day using a soaker hose on a timer, so I donā€™t really need to do anything to it except add a bit of compost/fertilizer every now & then.

5 Likes

What is the name of that purple/red plant. It looks amazing, kinda like some sorta sea creature.

Not totally sure, as they were already there when I moved in.

Itā€™s a succulent, Purple Aeonium I think, or something very close.

1 Like

Had some plants but they died. So I keep their remains in a bunch of jars to remember them by until I grow some more plants that will die and also be put in jars.

Probably going to start some black tomatoes or some peppers after I get moved into the new place. Got a bunch of seeds that I never got around to growing due to the landlord not wanting us to do anything to the yard so it got taken over by blackberries.

Its my job, althoug my house is also full of them. Orchids like 6 million a year, at home just 30.

work

at home more special things

5 Likes

Forgot this existed, next week Iā€™m going to be starting my spring garden. I have most of the grow lights, pots, seeds, soil, and other bits in place.

1 Like

Bringing it back!

Pulled our first cucumbers today and damn, theyā€™re pretty big already!

2 Likes

Chinook hops. Probably not going to get much of anything this year, but in the future it should be good.

3 Likes

Our Cascade is in its third year now, finally a mature plant. baby hops showing up as of a few days ago:

It should be nuts. We lost our Chinook as it spread its root system above the landscape fabric and froze over the winter. Made me sad, but we planted a new one in its stead. The Willamette, Columbus and Saaz will all be in their second year. You might be surprised at how big that gets this year depending on conditions.

2 Likes

Unfortunately the only places on the property that really get enough sun are either directly in front of the house or on the leach field. Donā€™t want to put it in front of the house because itā€™ll block windows, donā€™t want to put it on the leach field because the soil is shallow (also shit water). Assuming it doesnā€™t die in the bucket itā€™s in I may ask my brother if I can move it to his house where thereā€™s a decent amount of sun and it wonā€™t block anything.

Iā€™d like to grow more varieties in the future, one of the things Iā€™d like when I get my own place is space to plant a couple varieties of hops. Iā€™d love to grow some Magnum, Polaris, Saphir, and whatnot.

Got 4 Capsicum Annus in a planter, although it is a bit cold for em at the moment. Maybe summer time they will come around.

Had a fern, but it wanted some fertiliser. I gave it some and it immediately died. Piece of garbage plant, cant even do what it is meant to do.

Question to all more knowledgeable than me, meaning everyone.
I had the idea of growing spices in pots. Is it too late to plant the seeds now? Will I just waste the seeds?

This is my garden/yard. Strictly speaking itā€™s not mine, I share it with my girlfriend and our neighbor, a single man in his 50ā€™s. Pictures are from the beginning of may.

There are all sorts of plants. Roses, aloe, citrus, grapevines, wisteria, clematis, pelargonium, geranium, anemones, and a lot more.

Among the common edibles are tomatoes, chili, peas, thyme, oregano, rosemary, basil, cicely, salvia, mint, coriander, aloysia citrodora (lemon verbena), helichrysum italicum (curry plant), dill, parsley, chives, polygonum odoratum (vietnamese coriander), estragon. And possibly some Iā€™ve forgotten.

Pictures from June.

Chili. Bhut Copenhagen.

Tomatoes

Santolina viridis. Smells like olives, taste like green beans.

The aloe and some citrus.

From my apartment. A monstera.

A plectranthus amboinicus (cuban oregano). Tastes like a mix between oregano and mint.

A Euphorbia leuconeura (Madagascar Jewel)

A bunch of succulents and cacti.

3 Likes

Depends. Radish are planted in the spring and autumn, as they need a shorter day/night cycle. A lot of things can be planted in pots now, and taken inside later in the year, like chives, basil, etc. Some plants can survive the winter or grow again from new seeds it produced itself (depends on how cold it gets of course), like rosemary, thyme, mint, oregano, parsley, chives, etc.

3 Likes

That is exactly the answer I wanted to see. Thank you.

1 Like

Ginger and spring onion. The ginger has just sprouted.

6 Likes

Spotted little cones on the Saaz plant yesterday:

3 Likes

Figured Iā€™d include a good few shots of the raised beds:

2 Likes

Ginger update. My ginger has grown quickly in 5 days.

Iā€™ve also noticed that a garlic i planted seems to have sprouted. Iā€™ll be keeping an eye on this. My spring onions are also a ridiculous size.

5 Likes