What are you currently listening to (Non-metal edition)?

One thing I like is listening to music that is part of the cultural canon for people from other countries. Many of these songs, especially in non-English speaking countries it seems, never goes beyond the borders of the respective countries. Thought I'd introduce you to some tracks and artists who are part of the lyric library of most people from my country - Denmark. We will start off with three artists. I might make this into its own thread if people are interested.

Gnags is a Reggae band, founded in the mid 60's and still rocking today. This track is called "We are the wild rabbits", and this part of the lyrics sums up pretty nicely what it is about.

Vi er de vilde kaniner med meget lange ører
We are the wild rabbits with very long ears
Alt hvad i hvisker og siger kan vi høre
Everything you whisper and say, we can hear
Har du fred i den ene hånd og krig i den anden
Do you have peace in one hand and war in the other
Og kalder de dig gud, hvisker vi at du er fanden
And do they call you god, then we whisper that you are the devil
Vi er de vilde kaniner
We are the wild rabbits
Vi undergraver grænserne og parrer os
We subvert the borders and mate

This next group is called Gasolin, which was founded in the late 60's. They have since split up, but the lead singer Kim Larsen is still going strong, and has become kind of a national treasure. This track is just one of many famous songs they made. It's called "What do we do now, little you", and is about the tragedies of life, being born into a crazy family, layoffs, and the non-responsiveness of the political establishment.

Also, there is this track, from a movie. It's called "In the middle of the night". Kim Larsen is renowned for never allowing cover versions, however this got made into a rap song, which he supposedly hated and regretted. I can definitely see how the theme has the potential to do more than this song and genre. If any of you creative souls want to remix it, I'd be thrilled, just know that you'll probably never be able to properly release it. It is about some squatters and their worry of being arrested.

This next one is from a band formerly known as Disneyland After Dark founded in the early 80's. As it happens (read: of course) they got sued by Disney and changed their name to D:A:D. They were revolutionary on the Danish music scene as their tune is rock, with a sort of U.S country jive to it. This track is in English and is called "I'm sleeping my day away", and as such, the subject it revolves around is pretty self-explanatory.

They also made this hit, which I believe was their first really big hit. It's called "Bad Crazyness", and is also in English.

I'd really like to hear music from your countries. Also lesser known songs from English speaking countries. Often times a lot of songs are rather nice, but never break though in the wider world. I'd like to hear these songs! :slight_smile:

Edit: Lyrics

1 Like

I can get down to some Dainsh reggae. :smile:

The Kim Larsen video isn't available outside Denmark either.

This is a fantastic rock version of a traditional Irish song by Thin Lizzy.

The Horslips are an Irish trad rock band.

Agus a haon as gaeilge as The Dubliners (and one in Irish by The Dubliners)

2 Likes

Thanks man! The Horselips track is going straight to my favourites list.
Regarding the Dubliners, reminds me I had an Irish classmate last year. One day drinking beer at his place he was like "This is good music" and slapped on some Dubliners. Have to admit I didn't expect that from a mid-20's dude haha. They're cool though :slight_smile:

I reckon it's "In the middle of the night"? Is this the only one not available to you?

Edit: here it is from another uploader. In at worse bitrate unfortunately.

I found a remix!!! Not the rap remix that got officially released I referenced, but just the brainchild of some glorious youtube amateur I think!

Yeah it was just that song.

Traditional music is alive and well in Ireland. Its not hard to find a pub in any town where there isn't a session on.

Here's two more by The Pogues that show two sides to the music.

1 Like

I hope this does not violate community guidelines. It shouldn't since it is community funded non-comercial radio ...

RadioParadise
http://stream-dc1.radioparadise.com/aac-320

If you like it you can add it to your internet streams in Clementine because you LOVE Linux apps that use the Qt (pronaounced cute) framework and look great in KDE/Plasma 5 right? Of course you do.

Edit: Wrong thread, moved it to the right one... derp
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/when-i-am-bored-i-tend-to-post-funny-cool-stuff/104616/2632?source_topic_id=5066

1 Like

The Lemon Twigs, 2 young brothers 1 great band

1 Like

I think I'm in love ...

Wow really interesting band. I haven't come across anything like them in a long while. The really seem like a thow back to era which I am fond of (60s/70s).

I can't pick any one style from them, I can just hear loads of influences from bands I like. Everything from Bowie, to Pink Floyd to Queen to even a bit of Elton John and many more. They still have their own sound though and sound quite modern.

Great find! Deffo go to keep an eye on them.

Here is a live set by them

2 Likes
1 Like

Got this stuck in my head, not the original but this version!
1 Like

Sometimes remixes are way better than the original.

Before they were pop.

It was sampled at 54 seconds in this song too

Where it appears 26 seconds in and in other places through out.

1 Like

comrades
1 Like

These are my personal favourites.

Edit: latter song, now with subtitles.

1 Like