What are some of your favorite vintage technologies

Hand crank windows.

3 Likes

Oh yea, these were super convenient back in the day! Also, because they were new tech you weren’t nerdy for having one (not that it would stop me from wearing one if I still had one that worked). It makes you wonder if today’s Apple watches will seem nerdy in 20 years.

1 Like

Had one of the Databank watches when I was in Elementary school. Looked more like this one though.

Was a pain to use most of the functionality without taking it off though.

1 Like

Those waterfall edge phones with non physical volume buttons are a horrendous idea.

Windows is not that slow (yet)…come on…

4 Likes

@hp185688 I have a bunch of wild old Casio watches. One has an analog stick in the front, wild!

@sycpuppy You must’ve been the coolest kid around, no joke.

Have any photo’s of those old watches?

Fred Fish (rip) PD disks on 3.5" floppy.
Kempston Competition Pro joysticks
Nico Francois’s PowerPacker

2 Likes

Nice, I do remember those Fred Fish PD diskettes.

Some others I remember were the Amiga Format mags that came with their own diskettes too.

1 Like

Silverado and Best of internet CDs. The joy of getting the newest one.

Shareware on 1.44 diskettes, the lil tab on diskettes so it could work in 720k or 1.44 drives
“It’s a new diskette! why won’t it work…oh”

2 Likes

Lol, nice.

1 Like

I miss physical media in general. It’s harder and harder to get, and players are even worse. I’m trying to maintain a CD collection, but finding a decent player at a decent price is impossible. Same for Games. I bought Diablo 2 plus LOD on Disc. Guess what, it still works without me having to worry if some servers go down. For the switch, a lot of “physical” copys are plain download codes in a plastic box.

I miss the days where you would buy a physical copy of something and you actually OWNED that copy forever, instead of buying the right to “rent” it until some servers are switched off.

6 Likes

I have a thing for older Hi-Fi audio equipment, specially large, 10.5" Reel To Reel tape players.
One day I’ll get one…

5 Likes

and players are even worse

I’m a CD collector, but I’ve never understood the desire to have a CD player these days. Good reader and burner, yes, but not the player.

What do you find appealing about it, with all of their limitations and risks?

1 Like

I have an external burner for ripping the CDs. I’d really like to have something to also listen to the disks in the living room, where i don’t have a PC. Most digital solutions are either DIY and not very userfriendly, or expensive. Volumio on a RPi just doesn’t sound great without an external DAC.
Finally, i think going through the physical discs i select music differently.

How do you listen to your CD’s?

How do you listen to your CD’s?

I don’t, not directly. Rip to FLAC, then work with the files themselves. I think of my discs as data storage essentially, and want to handle them as little as possible to reduce risk of scratches.

Finally, i think going through the physical discs i select music differently.

That’s interesting. I can see how that would have a pretty big impact on the experience.

Yeah, that’s what i do at the moment. I just haven’t found a way to do that in the living room without having either a 1500$ device or having to have my TV on to select music. When i sit down to listen to some music, i don’t really want a 42" screen illuminating the room, and don’t want to be distracted by fiddling with my phone.
So, a standalone device to play my music without needing a TV or phone. I don’t care too much if it’s a CD-Player or DAP. It also does not need to be ultra-high end. Just good enough and not an arm and a leg expensive.

You’re not getting around some sort of screen to access files. I mean you could go with image recognition for the cover art and hack something together but that way you’d still have to have the jewel cases around. And voice command is something you don’t want to deal with when you just wanna chill and play some music, I would guess.

I haven’t found a good solution yet either but at some point I’ll probably set something up with a tablet for selection and some single board computer and a DAC as a player.

Since we are on the hi-fi topic, I do miss those orange on black displays.
Everything is blue these days and it’s FUGLY! Especially LEDs. Fuck blue light!

For that, volumio on a RPi works great.

Yeah i get that. I’m fine with having a 4 or 5 inch screen on it. I just don’t want my TV on. That’s why i’m not using kodi on my Nvidia Shield or such.
I guess RPi + Cheapish screen + USB CD + Some RPi DAC in some case is probably the most costefficient solution.

But that’s getting pretty OT now. If this gets more relevant for me, i’ll create a thread for it.

1 Like