Return to Level1Techs.com

What Are Some Cool Projects With Radioactivity?

Hello does anybody have any suggestions for projects that have radioactivity in them. Something like small fusion reactors, tritium clocks ect.

Post any suggestion you have!

0 Likes

What materials do you have access to? What country are you in?

0 Likes

Asking for friend. Sweden, idk let’s say anything for now and I’ll filter myself.

0 Likes

This guy blazed a trail

0 Likes

radiation is not really something suited for backyard project…

1 Like

Only background radiation monitoring (for whatever reason one would do that).

0 Likes

Asked wife (PhD Partical Physics) Said most of the lab type stuff is pretty boring.

0 Likes

A small safe fusion reactor would be cool. Till Big Oil makes you dissapear…

2 Likes

Best bang for the buck, in my humble… a cloud chamber! It lets you “see” nuclear radiation in action, at least, the bigger particles.

3 Likes

That is actually a good idea.

1 Like

My favorite are when the odd cosmic ray hits the chamber and leaves a much longer trail. That is evidence they pack a lot more energy than any alpha or beta decay from a terrestrial source.

1 Like

radiation isn’t generally something appropriate for patio venture…

2 Likes

u could take xray pictures of dead animals food.

fission or fusion will get u in trouble in virtually any country afaik

2 Likes

Yeah, even if you are a Boy Scout

2 Likes

if you can get your hands on enough smoke detectors you could make a reactor

0 Likes

Google “Gieger Counter fun”
A ton of stuff comes up

0 Likes

Here’s an idea: a true random number generator based on radioactive decay. You could start by using a smoke detector and a Geiger counter or maybe a scintillator.

1 Like

Re-heating dinner… :smiley:

0 Likes

Hooking a geiger-mueller tube to an arduino could do that, the software and electronics are a project though.

0 Likes

There’s enough random background rads to do this without messing with the sample inside a smoke detector. Although tiny, Americium is one of the hottest radiation sources commonly available. Being tiny also makes it dangerous, since it’s easy to misplace when removed from the detector.

0 Likes