What are actually good, free games?

Not 100% sure but they might be using cookies on that page.

4 Likes

Tried that. Not sure if it’s actually less cluttered with the way discourse handles internal links.
I’m taking suggestions to make this more readable.

Maybe make a list from a table

Game Description Link
Item 1 3rd Person shooter Link
Game | Description | Link
-|-|-
Item 1 | 3rd Person shooter | [Link](www.url.com)
1 Like

Last time I played I got a reminder displayed about a sale that was going on every few minutes. And while ~90% of the microtransactions are cosmetic, there are also some “comfort” things, like a number of special chest compartments for making currency/essence/material management easier. Microtransactions are to be expected in a F2P game and the amount of content you can play for free looks almost overwhelming, but the prices are insane.

Plus, Tencent is involved (for anyone who’s concerned about China; same goes for LoL from Riot Games).

The OG nexuiz. I played on a server with people from Mexico, and brooo. It was the funnest experience ever. Even tho I sucked at the game.

2 Likes

Seiklus, Knytt (and Knytt Stories) were some of my all time favourite free games and are still worth a go.

seiklus2

Good times… I feel like these kinds of games exploded after Cave Story was released, then TIGSource came along, and now… Nada :[

A very incomplete list of Honorable mentions:

I honestly prefer old games for cheap over any free to play title.
If you are paying nothing, that is probably how much it is worth.

3 Likes

I’ve sunk about 200 hours in MTG Arena, it’s good stuff… spent like $10 on it though.

Just wanna try to run destiny 2 on proton … download size 84GB.
FFS!

3 Likes

If youve never experienced half life, or you have but you want to try out something different, this mod (doesnt need original games to run) us pretty decent.

I wouldnt bother with that. They have a history of permabanning people for trying to run destiny 2 on linux.

Also destiny 2 as a free game is pretty trash because everyone has moved on to the newer expansions and other content. You can still play the story which isnt that bad but its not worth getting into IMO.

2 Likes

I consider warframe and planet side 2 to be great games!

If you can deal with development idiocracy but other than that pretty fun with a few friends

1 Like

Its the same thing with PLS2 it sucks because your not really cheating but hey that’s what wonderful DRM and anticheat engines are for right? Screwing over everybody because of a few 10 year olds on their parents couch script kiddie"ing" their way into fake prowess…

Haha anyways yeah most anticheats work this way… Sucks… I wish they would do something about it… Its not hard to recode a C++ based anticheat engine program for Linux at all … Saw a proof of concept at a gamecon once

Its extra stupid because paid hacks typically go undetected indefinitely.

1 Like

I often play Open TTD, which is an open source version,
of the old Microprose Transport Tycoon Deluxe.
This is a pretty cool game, for those who like simulation games.

Both available for linux and windows.

3 Likes

In the same idea there is OpenRA for Command & Conquer Red Alert.

2 Likes

Alright. I updated OP with a table to make it easier to see what was recommended so far. I tried to get Links to Posts and the Game for all of them.
If i missed a recommendation, feel free to let me know.

3 Likes

Hmm seems theres a group of fans for an old game called Blacklight: Retribution (dead) that are willing to work on a new Game that imitates what made BLR so great, I dont know if they’ll make it free to play but I cant wait to see what they do as the devs for BLR really flopped hard on a game that had so much potential.

Privateer Gemini Gold.

http://privateer.sourceforge.net

0AD. I can’t believe that no one said it already. The game was origianlly closed source, but then the group open sourced it. It’s basically a FOSS Age of Empires.

https://play0ad.com/

7 Likes