What are actually good, free games?

reminds me of an old flash game I played whe nI was little, Star trek dark mirror, interesting game type :stuck_out_tongue:

Well over 1200 hours in Unturned. I’ve been playing it on and off for several years now. For what is essentially a one man show, it’s one of the best free games on Steam that has worked natively in Linux since I left Windows over 5 years ago. There are lots of ways to play and tons of mods out there as well. Like most zombie survival games today, once you get the feel for the survival part you can then expand on crafting and exploring. Plus the simplistic look can be a bit more kid friendly with things like rag dolls and blood turned off. My nephew loves spawning in jets and blowing things up.

The guy has also been working on a new version using Unreal engine instead of Unity. No idea if it too will be free, but his blog has a bunch of videos on the progress if anyone is interested -

https://blog.smartlydressedgames.com/unturned-ii-devlog-026/

4 Likes

Caves

Sector Strike

Star craft

Star craft II

Metroid: Confrontation

AM2R
Nothing is ever truly gone on the internet

Super Smash Land
https://www.supersmashland.com/

Tower of Heaven

Paper Mario Pro mode

They already came up in the thread, but Path of Exile and Warframe are great examples of non-predatory F2P games.

There’s also Neverwinter, Team Fortress 2, League of Legends, Star Trek Online, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, and of course Fortnite.

Also Apex Legends, although there’s some talk about it being predatory in its DLCs lately.

Star Wars: The Old Republic

https://www.swtor.com/

2 Likes

I forgot one. It’s an oldie but still lots of players - Runescape. I had a problem trying to install it via their instructions (dependency hell in Lubuntu 19.04) and found out it has a Snap. It’s the only time I’ve had a Snap actually seem better than the native install!

1 Like

If you’re talking about Old School Runescape, i highly recommend the Runelite client. They fully support Linux, and the standard package for their stable release is an appimage with all dependencies included, so you can just download and go, no problems. Also, they’re open source and are very open to new contributors if you get an itch to work on FOSS.

That being said… dang that game is so fricken addictive lol. I have sunk far too many hours into it.

OPENRA(balanced, reworked C&C ORIGINALS + Native linux) [C&C ORIGINALS became freeware several years ago]

Renegade X [Fan made sequel to C&C Renegade]

GTA and GTA2 [became freeware several years ago]

3 Likes

Are we counting in mobile games, cause then the list gets really f*ing long…

Remember, you must own Red Alert 2 & Yuri’s Revenge in order to play online CnCNet’s free server.

Note, Yuri’s Revenge must be installed to play on CnCNet’s Free Server. The game is not included in this download. EA Games have not released Yuri’s Revenge as Freeware. You can buy a digital copy of all Command & Conquer games from the EA Origin Store

Red alert 2 is not free ware, just the server software for them is.

Same for Dune 2000

Remember, you must own Dune 2000 in order to play online CnCNet’s free server.

Renegade is that same

Download & Install Renegade

You can now buy a digital copy of all 12 Command & Conquer games from the EA Origin Store. If you have Renegade already, skip this step.

Only C&C, Red Alert and Tiberian Sun are free.

GTA 1 & 2 are free at the discression of Rockstar. They are currently not free but were previously.

The op asks for actually good games so I doubt it’ll be that long.

2 Likes

For old point n click adventures use ScummVM. There are some freeware games for download in the website like Beneath a Steel Sky and Broken Sword. There’s tons more but how you get them is your concern.

There’s also a ScummVM app for Android if you want to play those games on your phone. Wendell played Day of the Tentacle with it in the Zenfone review from a view years ago.

So far i’ve left them out. If there is interest in adding them, i could make a second table for it.

Very relevant

3 Likes

classic.minecraft.net

2 Likes

I haven’t played it yet but the fan-made Broken Sword 2.5 is supposed to be pretty decent.

http://www.brokensword25.com/

It should be available on Android devices too, but I linked Apple since I downloaded it onto my iPad from there lol. I haven’t played it much yet though. First impressions are the UI is a little clunky but the experience is mostly the same so far.

1 Like

Maybe on tablets, cause it’s not when I check from my Nokia garbage phone… Oh I hate it so much…

In 2009~ all WestWood C&C games were available for free download, I assumed it was then “freeware”. Long before the re-release, maybe licensing terms were changed since? I recall downloading The Command and Conquer Collection. Officially…
Same with GTA 1 & 2 was officially available for free download from Rockstar, but I can’t find it anymore. GTA2 is still categorized as freeware on Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Freeware_games

Yeah they were both a temporarily available. they have since been made pay for again. though this has lead to many websites still offering them fro free in a legally questionable way.