What are actually good, free games?

I wouldnt bother with that. They have a history of permabanning people for trying to run destiny 2 on linux.

Also destiny 2 as a free game is pretty trash because everyone has moved on to the newer expansions and other content. You can still play the story which isnt that bad but its not worth getting into IMO.

2 Likes

I consider warframe and planet side 2 to be great games!

If you can deal with development idiocracy but other than that pretty fun with a few friends

1 Like

Its the same thing with PLS2 it sucks because your not really cheating but hey that’s what wonderful DRM and anticheat engines are for right? Screwing over everybody because of a few 10 year olds on their parents couch script kiddie"ing" their way into fake prowess…

Haha anyways yeah most anticheats work this way… Sucks… I wish they would do something about it… Its not hard to recode a C++ based anticheat engine program for Linux at all … Saw a proof of concept at a gamecon once

Its extra stupid because paid hacks typically go undetected indefinitely.

1 Like

I often play Open TTD, which is an open source version,
of the old Microprose Transport Tycoon Deluxe.
This is a pretty cool game, for those who like simulation games.

Both available for linux and windows.

3 Likes

In the same idea there is OpenRA for Command & Conquer Red Alert.

2 Likes

Alright. I updated OP with a table to make it easier to see what was recommended so far. I tried to get Links to Posts and the Game for all of them.
If i missed a recommendation, feel free to let me know.

3 Likes

Hmm seems theres a group of fans for an old game called Blacklight: Retribution (dead) that are willing to work on a new Game that imitates what made BLR so great, I dont know if they’ll make it free to play but I cant wait to see what they do as the devs for BLR really flopped hard on a game that had so much potential.

Privateer Gemini Gold.

http://privateer.sourceforge.net

0AD. I can’t believe that no one said it already. The game was origianlly closed source, but then the group open sourced it. It’s basically a FOSS Age of Empires.

https://play0ad.com/

7 Likes

I think most of the free PC games I’ve played have already been mentioned, so I’ll throw out the only two mobile games I play, both of which are free:

Plague Inc. is available on Steam for about 15 bucks, but there’s a free version available for Android as well. It’s been a while since I’ve played it but there was no ‘pay to win’ features that I recall. Really fun strategy game.

Pixel Dungeon is pretty popular here in our office as well. No ads, no pay to win, just a simple dungeon questing game. Pretty challenging.

I also just found out that Prison Architect is free for tablet devices, but I haven’t tried it yet. I love the PC version though.

8 Likes

Wanted to give it a try. It’s currently not working on Ryzen 3000 CPUs. Their Forum has a patch you can compile yourself, but it leads to an Out of Memory error later in the game, so… Sadly won’t try that today.

1 Like

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: /dev/null

Ooo that reminds me, heres the mobile games I enjoy:

Meteor-
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.BitDimensions.Meteor_Blast&hl=en_us

Tyrian 2000 and its open sourced frontend OpenTyrian is one of the best free game Ive played and still continue to play.

https://bitbucket.org/opentyrian/opentyrian/wiki/Home

If you’re into retro tactics games (think Final Fantasy Tactics Advance), Battle for Wesnoth!

1 Like

For not understanding what I am doing while playing I had a lot of fun in it.

2 Likes

Is it really? Damn…
PS: Not fair, it’s apple store…

had no idea you liked sim games? what others do you play… ive got quite a few

If you’re into rhythm games, this one is by far my favorite. You can play all the way through the main storyline for free. There are tons of extra songs you can buy, and an expansion as well for only $2.99 (basically just re-playing through the story but with newer and more difficult songs).