What Android phone has the longest OS support?

We actually have Samsung GS2 laying around. Was it hard to put Cyanogen on it? I have never done it before because I barely care about smartphones.

Also are there any Android apps in existence that don't try to spy on you, because every single app I wanted to install so far wanted access to my private shit. That doesn't fly with me. My friend made some game for Android and wanted me to try it out. Then I noticed it wanted access to my pictures/contacts/location/pin code ..........everything. Then I was like WTF is this and my friend said he didn't put any of that into the game but he used some google plug-ins. Furthermore he said the game would not work without those plug-ins and so I discovered that Google is forcing all app developers to implement spying shit into their apps.

Android has private settings to prevent that (or at least cynagonmod has it). Well its not hard on GS2. Only depends what OS you use.

https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_i9100

Only issue i sometimes have is finding the right Recovery. You have to start with that. That is these days only thing you need to flash. Then you can just copy past CM and install it from the recovery. If CM13 doesnt work start with CM11 and update it to 13.

if you are busy anyway try this too:

1 Like

Some ROMs allow you to disable permissions for the apps. I think CyanogenMod has this feature. Sadly as long as you use Google Play Services you'll never be safe from the prying eyes of Google.

And if I use F-droid?

1 Like

F-Droid is OK except for some apps but you get a warning before you install those.

1 Like

I ended up buying the Wileyfox Swift because it comes with Cyanogen. However when I started disabling google apps and taking away their permissions the whole phone suddenly restarted. And after like 2 min it restarted again and again.

The only proper way to de Google a phone is to wipe the stock ROM. Root the phone, install a new recovery and flash a fresh ROM.

Some of Google's services replace key portions of AOSP, the fully open source version of Android.

Google is probably your best bet. Use Cyanogenmod if they do end up dropping support for the phone.

I’m waiting to see what they have in store in the very near future :wink:

Ughh sorry for necro’ing

I wish this forum had a “are you sure you want to reply to a 9 month old thread?” prompt

1 Like

Old thread, many replies and no one thought to mention this:

Somewhere in my closet I have Google Galaxy Nexus (GSM). I bought the phone in 2012, I think at the time it was running ICS (icecream sandwich). I remeber flashing the rom/recovery/bootloader/kernel many times (cyanogen mod and AOKP where my favorite roms) AND ITS STILL SUPPORTED. Lineage 13.0 whew, takes my breath away.

I suspect this thread was older than that version of android. So it was not mentioned as it was Cyanogenmod at the time, which was mentioned.

Either way it is all long since passed and they already have the solution.

Bro cyanogen broke up in 2015 (they were already going to shit in 14). Lineage started up in 2016 (don’t know the month).

This thread November 2016.

Well my LS970 is 4 or 5 years old and with a Nitrogen rom I can install 7.1.2 and even get features that were in 4 to work that aren’t in android anymore.

Thats pretty fun.

I’m installing Maru on my Nex 5 to play with. I hope to see more support for this OS in the future if I like it.

Nexus 5 good choice. That phone is supported by probably every andriod rom in existance. Also check out KDE.

https://plasma-mobile.org/overview/

plasma mobile is not ready yet.

It does. What were you replying from?

I accidentally necro’ed a thread too shortly after the Texit and didn’t get a prompt either.
That was using Firefox, not sure if I was on my Win7 or on my Linux Mint machine at that time.

Shall I necro a few others just to make sure?

If you had popups disabled thats probably why.

1 Like

Ah, that could be it indeed.