What 3D printers does everyone own?

I have a Cocoon Create, which is a clone of a Duplicator i3+ and sold in Australia.
I have replaced running bearings with bigger ones, taken the springs off the belts, put a micro swiss hot end on it, replaced the extruder cooling fan with a blower fan and DiiCooler shroud.

Mostly do PLA as I don't have a cover to block drafts that can wreck ABS prints.

I control it using OctoPrint on a Raspberry Pi 2.

Been happy enough with it for the price.

Those printers sold at aldi were such a good deal even came with warranty.

Are you slicing on your raspberry pi too or are you just uploading the gcode?

(Should read posts properly!)
At least, all of the electrical issues had already been sorted out! Oh yeah i also managed to burn out the extruder bearing, had to buy some more off ebay.

I like to be involved in the slicing process, so use various other programs to do it, then drag and drop the gcode into the octoprint web interface. So much can go wrong when slicing,models can be bad, settings can be wrong, it's worth taking the time.

I recently bought Simplify 3D and it's been rock solid. I used Craftware before that, and it was pretty darn good for a free program.

I have a Printrbot Simple 2014 which is in pieces and needs a new platform and a lot of tlc.

Current machine is a SmartRapCore I sourced together myself for under $400. 210x210x290mm build volume, heated bed w/ PEI, E3D Lite6, all running on a RAMPS 1.4

I've heard a lot of good things about simplify 3D. How does Craftware compare to Cura ?

Have a Davinci printer, Cheap but it does the job with a lot of tinkering.

Also @SugarPower, Simplify 3D is a godsend

Craftware is still in Beta, but the big change is better control of support material. You can still automatically add it, but you have ability to edit the columns or add your own. You can also lean them , for tricky spots.
It was my daily driver for a while. There is a bug where it doesn't save printer settings, but you can fix this by installing an earlier version first and configuring! Google around for info on this.

@Rudster Thats what its all about! I have had just as much fun, if not more, printing out new parts for my printer and modding it.

what?

you must be euro

Murican Aldi dont sell 3d printers

1 Like

I'm in Australia. Here Aldi sells things outside of its normal product line for a limited time in addition to its regular products. It just so happened not so long ago Aldi was selling 3D printers.

fascinating

1 Like

Pretty awesome. I have a drill press and band saw I bought from Aldi

1 Like

wtf

in america its exclusively a grocery store

any way back to 3d printers >_>

1 Like

That 3D printer you funded looks pretty neat did you get the laser engraver attachment too ?

I got the full package

so yes

heated bed is absolutely essential

also comes with custom buildtak so im told

Even if it doesn't you can't beat a glue stick. Just watched a review of the preproduction model

I only use Simplify3D for the supports. Otherwise my preferred slicer is Cura/Curaengine.

Albeit I'm still using the CuraEngine slicer embedded within repetier-host and have been lazy to try the newer versions.

Interesting so you really only see benefits from simplify when printing complex parts

My first printer was a Velleman kit build. Now I have a German RepRap, and very happy with it.
German RepRap also keeps pushing Simplify3D for some reason, but as linux user that's not really what I want. I have copied the manufacturers Repetier-Host settings into Cura, messed a bit with the fan settings because I upgrades the cooling hardware, and with the temp settings because I use slightly different filaments. I really like Cura. I also like the most recent versions of Slicer.

Yeah, id go as far as to say if you use printers professionally and want to make parts in a specific way (changing parameters by layer for example) or maximise efficiency, Simplify3D is best.
But you certainly don't need it if you want to download some fun things off thingverse, or design your own stuff for around the house.

I've got a QUBD TwoUp that I got from a friend. I have yet to make a successful print with it. At first there were x gantry problems, now I have extrusion problems. I ended up just giving up on it.