WFH Setup Suggestions - Sharing Keyboard and Mouse

I’ve got a work laptop (2020 macbook pro) and a Linux desktop. Connected to my desktop is an ASUS ROG PG279Q monitor, CODE 87-key keyboard, and Corsair harpoon wireless mouse. No peripherals are connected to my work laptop but I have a USB-C hub if needed.

I’d like to be able to seamlessly use my mouse and keyboard between my desktop and work laptop, but software KVMs are forbidden due to infosec policy. I’m open to getting another monitor and having the work laptop’s main screen be the monitor next to my desktop’s monitor, but what should the method be for switching mouse and keyboard? USB switch? KVM?

Very open to any other setup suggestions! Thanks.

Aorus just recently announced their new monitor with a built in KVM. Which seems ideal for so many of us working from home these days and having a work laptop alongside our regular PC. Looking forward to some reviews coming out for this.

At the moment, I am using a Logitech G613 keyboard with my work MBP and a PC. It supports both their Lightspeed wireless tech and bluetooth. So easy to switch back and forth.
I use a Magic Trackpad for cursor control with the MBP and a separate mouse for the PC. Not ideal, but doesn’t take up excessive amounts of deskspace and sure beats having multiple keyboards or manually switching them.
There is some of Logitech’s mice that allow switching between wireless and BT too.

Some options to consider.

That monitor definitely looks pretty cool, though I’ll clarify by saying a gaming monitor isn’t really one of my must haves. I bought it a while back when I was gaming a lot more than I am today so fast refresh rate can take a back seat to price and color accuracy!

I did see some of Logitech’s mice and keyboards, but I am really not keen on their multi-device keyboard while still being quite fond of my current one. The mice I wouldn’t necessarily mind swapping to, but seems awkward if the keyboard is still left out of the mix.

Thanks for dropping some options and some thoughts on your current setup as well!

1 Like

I use a Startech displayport KVM (2dp + 2 machines), similar to level1 kvm, slightly different firmware, it works nice most of the time.

Most newer dell and benq pd series monitors have a built-in kvm, my wfh Asus pa329c doesn’t have it, but it does have USB-c that’s easy to plug into the laptop or desktop. (I have a super short USB-c extender to not have to reach towards the USB-c monitor port).

Every piece of hardware containing a usb switch has been buggy for me once in a while. This Startech … I need to reboot the kvm about once a week.

A friend has gone with a discrete USB3 and an HDMI switch (HDMI ones work fine generally cheap because chips are built for media centres).

USB3 is I think the powered u-green one, and he needs to reboot it about once a week.

You should be able to get the pair (hdmi+usb) switches for <$100. … Whichever option you go for, consider getting some short cables.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.