Western Digital selling SMR drives as "NAS" drives

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/g1di7w/wd_admits_red_nas_drives_2tb6tb_are_smr/
Direct link to the source article if you want to avoid Reddit.

Would strongly suggest reading through the source and some of the links provided there, the smartmontools ticket is especially, well, sad, I guess.

This old reddit post has a good analogy for how SMR works. As a result this technology was mostly used for archive drives, where random writes (and especially overwrites) are not a concern.

Depending on your use-case this might, or might not, be relevant to you. Then again, archive drives are generally cheaper than NAS drives, so WD selling what are basically cheaper drives for a premium should be relevant to most customers, even though the performance impact might not be.

In any case, being aware that this is even a thing, and being able to judge for yourself, and avoid these drives in case it is an issue for your use-case, is rather important, imho.

10 Likes

Just read that on another site… pretty shitty IMO. Apparently Seagate is also affected, but no statement yet.

So… how are Toshiba drives these days?

Loud…

But good.

Ah that shucks!

(get it?)

I don’t know what they expected people to use the WD Reds for if not NAS usage.

My understanding is that Seagate is a lot more open about ti (yeah, upon further reading turns out to not really be the case) and includes this fact in their specs (at least nowadays), while WD tried to swipe it under the rug.

“Home NAS” usage, which often is more of an “archival” type of workload. The fact that many of these would be better served by a different type of drive, of course, doesn’t change the fact that selling NAS drives that have trouble with actual NAS workloads is questionable, at best…

2 Likes

'Scuse me I need 300 of these for a shitty asmr meme brb

Some more details by the person that initially quizzed WD about the issue.

Glad I ended up with a Seagate (which I since verified is not a SMR drive) due to availability. Next drives will likely avoid both brands since they can’t be relied on to provide products that match what’s on the tin.

3 Likes

Woo dont use my 3tb reds anymore now on 8tb drives so guess i got lucky

Then you are stuck with Toshiba. There are three HDD manufacturers left.

2 Likes

Unfortunately. Lack of competition is what lead us here in the first place. :frowning:

For SMR without the buyer’s awareness there should be a death penalty…
I recommend buying such a disk for testing, only then you can feel the pain fully.
tenor

6 Likes

At least the 8tb and higher drives don’t use that shingle nonsense. I was looking to upgrade to a 12 or 14tb…probably from the shucking method.

1 Like

The point is that they have non informative specs. So now you have to check every single model number that it is not shingled.

So the 8tb and above models of the NAS drives are unaffected, but that is only for the current models. So if they do a minor revision, they might slip in shingling. Also, there are other 8tb+ drive types that are shingled.

2 Likes

Well… so there’s that:

edit: But at least the P300 and L200 are not marketed as NAS drives, and in regular Desktop use it shouldn’t be any problem at all.

2 Likes

And they gave a breakdown of which does what do you can look up models for a specific task and get the one that suits best. That’s nice.

Just heard about it on the PCPer podcast. It’s a really shitty move from every company involved but it is a reason to boycott WD for years for me. I mean, sure, you’re always supposed to have a backup but letting people buy SMR drives as RED and therefor NAS drives and potentially killing their arrays is mind meltingly stupid.

3 Likes

Or marketing genius…

So they just buy more…

At least until this came out then it is really stupid but, don’t care, made money, and people always need drives so they are not really In danger of losing too many sales especially seeing as everyone is doing it and therefore no reason to implicitly trust any other over them.

Well, I sure as hell don’t wanna be that genius right now.

3 Likes

Why would I buy a drive from the same company I just lost a bunch of data over? Most people would look at other vendors first because they had a bad experience.

People don’t like mixing drives, gonna replace the entire array?