Wendell's automation

@wendell You've mentioned your automation scripts that automatically download movies/books/etc. and people have asked before, but I was wondering if you could either make a video (@Logan) on it or release a list of what you use. I think there are a lot of people that would be very interested in the same things as you and would really even enjoy what you have as is or to build on and improve.

1 Like

I didn't watch the video specifically but I believe you can achieve what you want to with a simple bash script:

!#/bin/bash
wget path_to_drive_or_url

And just replace that with the file name. I believe you can have multiple links to download things by issuing wget just once but I'm not entirely sure... Or if this was even what you're going for.

From there, just run run the script like:

sh scriptname

I'm not sure it allows for it, but wouldn't calling 'cp' and linking to the root of the drive whilst having a path to the desired folder accomplish the same thing?

There is no specific video, I was asking if they would make one. It's just mentioned in the Tek every few weeks

Oh okay. I'll see what I can come up with my NAS.

Cool, with any luck @wendell will respond and let us see his methods

1 Like

It is a bit too intimate and I'm far too bashful. Its like an electronic extension of my brain. I wish python had existed 10 years ago. It is really a huge collection of little scripts running on a schedule. Most of it just programmatically updates a mediawiki instance these days, with links to local media.
Automatically "found" media is indexed by plex media server these days. Stuff it isnt sure about it can ask me about and I can tag it for download later (some of that is custom, but automated with perl/shell scripts and php, or a bit of python.
some media wiki entries are pages saved with just something as simple as wget in mirror mode. honestly, it isn't rocket surgery -- just a bunch of little things balled up together.

The best advice I can give is that everyone needs a home server. And the ability to create (and delete) modules that help organize your stuff. Imagine you want to keep notes, a diary, project info, electronic files/data, vacation photos, videos with friends, etc for 5/10/15/20 years and you change how you organize "your computer" stops being the safe place to keep all that stuff, and it migrates to the server.

Think of some of it like a reverse search engine.. you can search for stuff and it can let you know when it gets a really strong hit. Searching google isn't useful per se but keeping an eye on, for example, a private tracker message board for keywords to pop up like books or media or whatever, you can leverage that so you can review that in real time, faster than google would index such a resource (and it would be taken down maybe). I also like having a local mirror of wikipedia, which you can do and just sync differential changes.

For a while, in the early days, I had a shell script that would buy stuff on ebay randomly that had free shipping. Stuff from the tech section. The script spent no more than $50 per month and I got cool stuff in the mail nearly every day. I don't do that any more, but it was a lot of fun. Over time that script would try to "snipe" auctions instead of buy it now because the sniped stuff for $1 to $5 was always way better than stuff that was $1 buy it now, for example, but that wasn't something I thought about writing it.

I tried toggling that script on a few months ago, but it didn't work so ebay probably is different now. I haven't investigated why its broken.

So, taken as a whole, its also a decades old ball of many different scripts that probably some day will be sentient at the rate I'm going lol

3 Likes

So you ever going to throw the code for it out into the wild?

its not like a download/compile/run kind of thing, its a bunch of different things that update mediawiki. heck some of the sync even happens with git, which is a bit crazy.

maybe part of it, someday. some of what it does is browse gray areas of the internet, which I probably can't release anyway.

1 Like

@DeusQain in described it as either Jarvis or Skynet, he wasn't sure which.

So is that what you ran on that Cluster? Or like is this something that could be ran effectively on a lower end server, something involving a cheap AMD 8 core.

I know it's not (long time viewer here) but I was hopeing to at least get a list of all those things, and see how you've done it. You could just put a "drink responsibly" esc "download responsibly" warning on it maybe, or just comment out/whatever the "gray area" parts. This is seriously the video I've been wanting to see since I've been a subscriber.

I think what @wendell is trying to say is that he created an AI and doesn't want to share it with anybody. Because the world isn't ready yet, he is secretly looking out for the world, lurking behind monitors, keeping us away from dangers we don't know even exist yet. Good on you Wendell.

3 Likes

In the mean time I'll just get hardcore with Tasker, Sirius, Arduinos, and DD-Wrt to try making one myself. I will be the one to unleash the evil if Wendell doesn't!

1 Like

tasker is my favorite thing to do on my phone :P Im gonna make a thread asking what some things people have used it for.

EDIT: if there isnt a thread already.