Wendel colab for perfect case?

I was watching ‘The Ideal Home Server! Is it Possible?’ and I remembered a thought I had a while ago, wouldn’t it be great if Wendel could use his mighty wizard powers to colab with a case manufacturer to make something every home server person likely wanted at one point or another.

Then I was thinking, but how to make this happen? Well… there is only one channel that comes to mind, Gamers Nexus. Consider that they do many case reviews as well as interviews and factory tours, if L1 doesn’t have the connections, they would. And I don’t think there is a tech tuber that doesn’t admire Wendel’s server-fu. If such a thing happened, it’s also exactly the kind of thing they would cover.

It’s just a pipe dream I wanted to share. Oneday, I hope we can all own ‘The Wendel’ Home NAS Case. But until that day, we will have to make do.

Would love to see them work with the new CaseLabs

1 Like

How many HDDs can fit inside The Wendel? This is my question.

there is also other community call for this…

1 Like

I don’t have the skill to make something that I would be happy with, I expect most don’t. While the making your own thread is good, that’s not what I’m suggesting.

1 Like

There is obviously a desire for a better case.

If Wendell, the community and GN peeps, all get together, maybe they could bring something to an incubent manufacturer that works for all

1 Like

While I have no desire to mass produce a case, the case in that thread is being designed for manufacturability. The thing is though its kind of feature creeping into the ultra premium territory, atm it’s already above a Phanteks Enthoo Elite because I wanted to add a recessed sliding door to cover the 5.25" bays when not in use so dust/dirt don’t get into them; dust will absolutely mess up an LTO drive.

Also its going to slide apart like an apple g4 cube because the sheet metal can’t be intricately folded enough to create all the tabs for door locking, also structural rigidity matters when there are 3.5 stone of hard drives in the bottom of it.

1 Like

I think if there was such a thing there would be a case manufacturer to produce it.
I’m afraid that this is not a single case for all home server people, but one case each for every home server person.

I offer the following video as proof to my theory:

Yeh, I think it would need to be skewed toward affordability, but not necessarily cheap.

Doesn’t Silverstone have an OEM/ODM option?

I think the best one they have is the CS380

It doesn’t exactly have many of the modern features the Desktop scene has evolved.

Reviews call it loud, hot and cheap feeling.

It’s also very expensive for it’s feature set (in my opinion).

Meant this:
https://www.silverstonetek.com.tw/OEM/index.php?area=en
Complete your design requirements and then enter product development doings.

I also like their DS380, its like that Supermicro Microserver or the HPE Cubes, but DIY friendly.

While that looks amazing, I doubt many of us could actually afford a custom case.

You know it’s bad when you have to esquire for a price.

You know it’s even worse when they don’t even prompt you to do so.

OEM/ODM offerings are when you as a company reach a point where it is economically infeasible to develop the required skill (and tools) in-house. Should the goal be to actually do a community-designed case, then some manufacturer will have to be taken onboard sooner or later.

Getting custom built stuff in single units, is indeed a rich-boy move.

my 0.02 on going with an established manufacturer for a custom case design:

If anyone did partner with a manufacturer for a new case, you will be heavily incentivized to use as much (usually 100%) of the tooling that OEM/ODM already has as possible, so you’re custom case will end up looking like an existing case with maybe a couple extra features, kinda sorta like the o11d; no hate to Roman, he did way better than every other pervious case colabs… cough Fatal1ty cough

I think what teenage engineering did for their case was more interesting.

This topic was automatically closed after 273 days. New replies are no longer allowed.