Welp. That just happened

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Microsoft-Joins-Linux-F

Trump is president. Russia wants to be friends. And Microsoft is supporting linux.

Does gravity still work?

14 Likes

Let me check Jumps out Window YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

4 Likes

Becoming a platinum member also earns Microsoft a seat on the Linux Foundation board of directors.

11 Likes

Yeeeeeeeeeeup

Microsoft has been maintaining it's own linux distro for over a year now, and has been behaving correctly about it. It's the only bloody software product they maintain for which they document stuff and offer transparency to the users lol, I say welcome to the club Microsoft...

4 Likes

Yeah, but we all know that microsoft has been stealing info and helping the NSA spy on everyone.

Sooooooooooo I am gonna bet that there is some type of tracking software in that linux distro.

Plus, I simply don't trust them.

1 Like

No there isn't lol, the code is public, and you can clone the code and compile it yourself. It's actually made for networking devices though, it's not a desktop distro.

Intel actually has a linux distro that is not open source. It's called VxWorks (if it's still called that, they tend to like to change names on it). It shouldn't exist because of GPL, but it does, because it's used in military equipment and space gear and stuff. Intel is also a member of the Linux Foundation board.

If the Linux Foundation Board would decide at one time to change the license of the linux kernel code for instance, the last GPL license code would be forked legally and most developers would just continue to work on the fork like they did before, hardly anything would change. These things happen from time to time. Remember OwnCloud? They did a similar thing, everybody left and the main project is now NextCloud, whereas OwnCloud is pretty much dead.

It's the same thing as this very forum... Logan wanted to take it from the community, and got crucified for it. Now think of the code and all the data being public and transparent (which the forum isn't) and imagine how impossible it would be to take Linux from the community...

i am also worried about being on the board of directors since they will now help shape linux

There are already over 20000 lines of Microsoft-specific code in the Linux kernel. That's a lot proportionally. It has to do with Microsoft's funky Hyper-V engine... of which the performance optimalisation code is open source in the Linux kernel, but Microsoft's paying customers have to pay extra to have access to it, because it's only for the pro and enterprise versions of windows lol...

2 Likes

what about ultimute?

Is that still a thang, or did it die after Win7?

died after win7 i think.

Well if Bethesda could start releasing games without glitches I would say the world is heading in a better direction

4 Likes

ya :( I struggle with linux allowing themselves to get in bed with the likes of MS but Linux did win the war.

All of it is probs spyware lol. : p

But in all seriousness, I am a bit concerned. I have friends who work for MS and all of them say that MS hates opensource.

I really have a sinking feeling that there is some sort of trojan horse game going on.

Yeah, as it turned out, Microsoft has a bigger problem with open source not believing in Microsoft than that open source has a problem with Microsoft not believing in open source lol
Guess someone in Richmond finally figured it out... good thing!

1 Like

Re. The Microsoft code in the kernel, anyone is free to take advantage of it. Simply install hyper-v onto your bare metal server and create Linux VM's under it. No need to pay Microsoft a penny until you build so many you want to manage it all using something other than PowerShell, lol.

It's actually a good solution for companies who haven mixed Windows and Linux environments and has caused VMware a marketing headache.

1 Like

https://connectevent.microsoft.com/

I didn't write this post but it holds some solid points/questions on the situation.

I'm surprised at how rapidly people are embracing Microsoft this year. "It's different now," and "this is a new microsoft" is the kind of thing I hear everyday. How is this not embrace extend extinguish? They are slowly making their platform easier and easier to go to, and suspiciously integrating open source systems into their platform. I don't see Microsoft doing any of this out of goodwill but just another way to choke out the competition. Although this time the strategy is not to kill the competition by choking them out, but buying them out.

Do people forget about the mass amounts of telemetry collected by windows 10? How is this not vendor lock-in? I am fine with them doing this, since they are a corporation and this is clearly better business for them. What I don't understand is the hordes of developers rolling over Microsoft and vowing their business to them for a lifetime.'

Do people not realize that Microsoft has a strong economic incentive to see Linux fail? (Pardon the language) But it blows my fucking mind that anything good can ever come out of this. Google - for example - has no incentive to see Linux fall. They are indifferent to which OS users run. Amazon - they have an incentive to see Linux succeed, open-source OS allow them to sell cheaper VPSes. But Microsoft? MS hurts everytime Linux succeeds. A Raspberry pi that could be running Embedded Windows. A desktop with ubuntu that could have had Windows 10. A Redhat server that could have had Windows Server 2016. Why would Microsoft benefit from the success of Linux? They want people on their platform, on their system, with their software, paying them. The strategy now seems to be slowly buying out your competition and shoving the competing software into your system.

2 Likes

Not to steal your thunder, but there is already a post about this.

Thread merged into this one, when merging, prior thread wins. Merged newer thread closed.