Well, there goes Humble Bundle

In short, Humble Bundle and IGN of all things have merged together.
Basically IGN now owns a digital storefront, one of the 3 largest at that. A media (Not specifically IGN, but the large game media sites in general), that is many times been accused of bias and payed reviews and stuff, is now owning a store, that also have a publishing initiative.
So I don’t know about you, but I think I’m not buying from Humble anymore… Not for something else, but because IGN is anything, but humble…

2 Likes

Maybe they will fix the site so I can log in using something other than IE.

I don’t know what your deal was there as I had no problem signing in with Google or other browsers. As for IGN and Humble Bundle joining forces it makes me sick and yes I am worried. **** IGN and while we are on the topic of those types of sites … **** GameSpot too.

1 Like

It is usually a problem spinning up the google validation thing. Somehow unique to me, so I gave up trying.
Most likely something I am doing that prevents it, like blocking evil at the router level.

I’m fine with another store front being opened a bit wider. More competition, hopefully better sales down the line. Paid reviews or not in their other line of business…not like I ever relied on them for a review anyway. Much better independent folks out there on the interwebz.

I don’t have an affinity for IGN but is there any actual hard evidence that some developer studio/publisher would go out of their way to pay a reviewer (who typically are freelancers or independent from the review outlet’s business and executive divisions) to rate their game favorably?

You can thank IGN for curbing your game buying addiction. You;ll have less places to spend your money on games now! /s

On a serious note, it would be terrrible if Humble cannot operate independently after this deal. At the very least, if they do something terrible, you can still determine where your money goes to when you buy a game from there. You can just give all of it to say charity or a good developer.

There is also the fact that Humble publishes its own games, with the recent one being “A Hat In Time”. So having a review outlet owning an independent publisher is a huge conflict of interest and a legitimate concern for review bias.

Also, PR talk from Humble’s blog.

As long as I can get my stuff cheap and continue to have the choice to give all of the proceeds to a charity then I don’t mind the merge.

1 Like

I really don’t see how this could possibly make humble any worse. The bundles have been 100% garbage for at least the past year. The only way is up.

1 Like

Yes meh titles bulk out bundles, thats normal, but I don’t see how you figure they have been 100% garbage. The current bundles are the complete series of 3 actual borderlands games (GOTY editions at that) for $10usd, or Ashes of singularity (inc DLC) + Offworld trading company for $15usd… if steam had those deals without the other filler, people would still think it was good.

Ethics 10/10 -IGN

1 Like

Humble bundle store has always worked with Firefox.

What does that have to do with anything?

1 Like

The first three replies.

2monthnecro

Little late.

Yeah I saw that when I posted, didn’t notice prior.

Anyway, it does work and in terms of the original topic: I’m not happy about it. I do really like their monthly bundle though so i’ll keep up my subscription for now.

You guys are crazy, their books on software and I.T. have been great. The Unix bundle was beacons of knowledge on Vi, Vim, Sed, Awk, Yacc, C, Bash, etc. for $15

It’s more about the long term implications. I got Vegas as well for 10% of it’s actual price.