Welcome to Valhalla (Folk Metal Thread)

Skål fellow warriors! Welcome to Valhalla!

I've made this thread to have a more centralized location to post folk metal music for everybody to enjoy. I'm going to make the posts about each band with a little more information than just a link to a YouTube video so people can get a better idea of what each band offers before they listen. I'm going to list my favorite bands here at the top and then make a few posts with different bands.

Also, yes I'm posting this on both Crit forums and here. (get over it)

My Favorites:

Ensiferum ("sword bearing" or "sword bearer"):

I would consider this band to be one of top folk metal bands out there. They belong in any folk metal playlist you create. The metal archives literally classifies them as Epic Folk Metal.

Eluveitie ("The Helvetian"):

This band is great, they have more traditional folk elements and alternative instrumentation that mixes in really well with the beauty and the beast style of clean singing and death growls. Easily one of the top folk metal bands.

Korpiklaani: ("Clan of the Wilderness")

This band floats more on the traditional folk side of folk metal, I'm certain they started as a folk band before moving to folk metal. The lyrics are mostly in Finnish but they do have many English versions as well. Very fun band to drink to.

Equilibrium:

This band lives more on the power metal or symphonic metal side of things. There music is almost exclusively in German death growls, but it maintains an epic, power metal like feel.

Atlas Pain:

Another folk metal band with a lot of power metal/ melodic death metal influences. Very fun band to listen to but can also keep things on the more brutal side.

Tyr:

Here is your more traditional heavy metal with norse/ folk themes. Fun to listen to and easy to sing along with.

13 Likes

Moonsorrow

Starting us off with some Moonsorrow, these guys kick ass. They started out as a straight black metal band and eventually took on more folk metal influences.

Arkona:

This is a Russian folk metal band, great folk metal with a mix of vocal styles.

Asenblut

Look no further fans of death metal, this fucking band kicks ass, folk metal with strong death metal influences.

1 Like

Dark Oath

Folk metal that is heavily symphonic with melodic death metal mixed in.

Drakum

Fucking amazing folk metal that I hope release more music in the future.

Saor?

Wilderun?

2 Likes

Einherjer

Some of the finest folk metal Norway has to offer, kicks ass.

1 Like

I love both, but admittedly I'm more of a Wilderun fan than Saor. Was going to make a post, working my way through my library right now. lol

Ereb Altor

I don't even know where to classify these guys other than folk metal, enjoy.

As creator of the Power metal thread here, I approve of this thread (^ _ ^)-b

2 Likes

Grimner

One of my personal favorites, they don't take themselves too seriously, music that goes best with a strong beer.

Heathen Foray

This was a recent find for me but a bad ass folk metal band nonetheless.

1 Like

King of Asgard

Honestly more melodic death metal with folk metal like themes and lyrics but I couldn't not mention them.

Heidevolk - Is a folk metal band from Netherlands. Love to listen to them cuz i know German and Dutch has alot of german / english words or familiar.

From the Wiki: The lyrical themes of their music are inspired by nature, the history of Gelderland, and the history of Germanic mythology.

1 Like

Leshak

Slav folk/ death metal, gotta love it.

Northland

Probably the only folk metal band from Spain in this thread. Sounds like these guys should have done the music for the Witcher 3.

SkilTron

One word: bagpipes

1 Like

Valkenrag

These guys sound a lot like old school Amon Amarth

1 Like

One more skál!

Månegarm - Swedish band. Norse mythology. Epic AF.

Thank you @Ethereal for this thread.

1 Like